21

————————————————————————

Gasping for breath I look around in a panic. Immediately I look at my surroundings and realize I'm in the medical room. Turning to my left, my breath hitches and tears make their way down my face when I see Alison on the table next to me, her throat slashed and Luther holding her hand.
"Luther..." I whisper.
"Alex, I'm glad you're alright." He says solemnly.
"What- What happened to Alison?" I ask quietly making my way over slowly, still feeling the phantom pain of being shot.
"It was Vanya, she did this to Alison." He says, his voice full of anger.
It takes a minute for me to comprehend what he just said.
"Vanya, did this?" I ask in disbelief.
He just nods.
"But- she wouldn't, couldn't! There must be a mistake!" I say looking at Luther with a pleading look. He shakes his head and speaks up quieter than previously, "She came back to the academy, so I locked her in the vault room downstairs that dad used to use for her when we were kids."
My breath stops and I immediately sprint to the vault.
I need to get her out of here! I think as I see her banging and screaming on the door. It speeds up as she sees me. I look at the door, and look at her with tears in my eyes. I grab hold of the large handle and try with all my remaining strength to yank it open. Vanya looks scared and afraid, on the brink of having an anxiety attack. I continue to pull and yank on the door, until I hear it squeak and move slightly. Within a few more minutes I finally get the door semi open, and I rush in to help Vanya.
"Vanya! Vanya are you okay?!" I ask worriedly.
"Alex, thank you!" She says while collapsing and crying.
"Why did Luther lock you in here?" I ask her.
"Because I just found out I have powers. Turns out I've had them all along, but dad couldn't control them, so he told Alison to 'Rumour' me. When she remembered doing it, she told me and I lost control. I was just so angry. I could've been included and felt like I belonged. I lost control and accidentally slashed her throat-" Vanya's  story speeds up as she talks, her breathing becoming ragged.
"Hey, Hey, hey, calm down yeah?" I ask. She nods.
"In and out. Just like me okay, in" I say and demonstrate for her to follow with me, "and out." I say exhaling. She looks grateful and I help her stand, when suddenly the door closes harshly. We both jump and look out the window to see Luther close the door, a betrayed look on his face.
"Luther! What the fuck!" I yell running to the door. I bang on it as Vanya had previously.
Luther begins to talk but I cannot hear him, and judging by how I couldn't hear Vanya earlier, he couldn't hear us.
"Please! Please! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" Vanya resumes her apologies and banging. She's sobbing again and I'm glaring at Luther. After a few minutes, Luther calls everyone else down and they all gasp to see both Vanya and I stuck in this vault room.
We bang and yell at the others through the door, even though they can't hear us. Vanya begins to hyperventilate and I repeat what I did earlier.
"In and out, Vee, in and out." I say as calmly as I can. She followed my example and I begin to feel my hands shake. My high is ending and the shock from getting shot begins to hit me. As the high lowers, I begin to hear the voices yell at me. All the ghosts haunting, screaming at me. My eyes dart around and I faintly see Klaus and everyone outside making large hand gestures and pointing at us. They appear to be arguing.
The spirits become too much for me and I quickly search Klaus' jacket for any pills or a joint, only to find nothing. I crumple to the ground, covering my ears, and full on screaming.
"Just stop! Please STOP!" I cry out. This startled Vanya and she jumps up and backs away from me. This grabbed everyone else's attention from behind the heavy door.
I scream as loud as I possibly can, this small dark room reminding me of the mausoleum.
I see Klaus race forward to the glass and bang on it, as he seems to have figured out what was happening to me.
"Alex! Alex calm down!" Vanya asks, cautiously walking towards me.
"Make them stop! Just SHUT UP!" I yell looking around the small room, seeing nothing but various dead ghosts. Their blood still fresh in the afterlife, oozing down their bodies, heads, and limbs.
"Is it the ghosts? Are they back?" Vanya asks semi calmly.
"They won't stop, they want me to help them, to - to bring them back!" I say beginning to panic.
"I - I can't do that! I can't help you!" I sob and curl in on myself. Just as Vanya helps me sit up, I see Klaus look worried and tense, then Alison enters the room with her notepad. Vanya runs to the glass on the door and beings to apologize to Alison, yelling and sobbing her apology.
Alison asks Luther to let us go, that it was her fault Vanya hurt her, and that I was just trying to comfort Vanya.
Luther however, takes none of this and refuses to let anyone near the vault.
After loosing the battle, everyone is forced out of the room by Luther, leaving me curled up in a ball on the ground hyperventilating, and Vanya banging on the doors. Vanya then begins to hyperventilate.
"I-I can't b-breat-the in here!" She sobs. I stop my yelling, my voice hoarse and throat dry. I shakily crawl over to Vanya and try to set out a breathing example, however it's quite hard when we're both sobbing, heavily breathing messes. Vanya suddenly stops crying and breathing, her skin goes pale, and her eyes a very light blue. She turns towards the door and it becomes windy in the room. After what I can only describe as a mini earthquake, the door flies off its hinges and I gasp in shock.
"Vanya..." I whisper in awe. She helps me up and we both make our way to the elevator.
When she touches me, I feel a surge of power and feel my own abilities increase. I feel my eyes adjust, changing colour from the previous pale blue, to a similar shade as Vanya's.
Once the elevator opens up, I hold onto Vanya and steady myself, gasping for breath.
"Vanya, you did it! You saved us!" I say excitedly and hug her. She flinches slightly and stiffens, before awkwardly embracing me in a hug. However something happens and she shoves me aside, storming to the main room. Only then do I notice the crumbling of the academy, and the pieces of roof falling all around me.
"Alex!" Klaus' voice reaches my ears. I turn and he grabs my hand and drags me outside. Just in time too as a pice of rubble falls and hits Diego slightly.
"Diego! Wake up! Please!" I yell, only for a force to pull him and I out from under the falling roof. I look up and see Ben fading.
"Thanks!" I say quickly and nod at Ben. He nods back, Klaus and I pick up Diego and drag him outside.
Once we're all outside, we begin looking for mom.
"Mom! Mom you have to go! Get out! Mom!" I hear Diego yell at her through a window. The building collapses and mom goes down with it. Diego screams for her as Klaus comforts him.
"What about pogo?" I hear Diego ask Klaus.
"He didnt make it," I hear Luther speak, "Vanya killed him."
"This all could have been prevented..." I say.
"How? Vanya causes the apocalypse. I thought it was just Harrold Jenkins, but he was the fuse, Vanya is the bomb! The apocalypse is still on! The world ends today!" Five says coming to a realization.
"If we included her, and didn't lock her up! We could have helped her control her powers!" I yell. 
Before we could get anymore into a heated argument, a spotlight shines down at the academy and we all scatter, to later meet up at the bowling alley. Klaus grabs my hand and we run the fuck outta there and make our way to the bowling alley using back streets.