3

————————————————————————

I awake on a rooftop. I look around and see Klaus and Ben. Klaus is still sleeping, and Ben is looking down at the people on the streets.
"Ben?" I ask, still kinda tipsy.
"Welcome back Alex. How're you feeling." Ben asks concerned but looks at me knowingly.
"I feel like I do whenever I'm hung over" I say laughing a bit. "But like, 29 times worse."
"Well, you did technically over dose yesterday on top of the other two baggies of pills you two went through. Not to mention the alcohol." He says.
"Yeah well, what're you gonna do? Do you happen to know the time?" I reply.
"It is 8:45 in the evening. When do you need to be home by?" He asks me.
"I needed to be home by 8, but it's not like they can find me here." I say not giving two shits.
"Are you sure? I can walk you home. Not like it'll do much, but I'd prefer to know your safe." He says.
"Yeah I'm sure. Nothing can be worse than dying. But I wonder how they'll do it tonight? They haven't drowned me in a while, or even stabbed. It's been a while since I was drained of blood too..." I trail off thinking of All the ways they've murdered me in the past. I laugh it off and look up at Ben. He's pale and looks awful. Immediately I'm concerned and jump up to help him.
"Ben? Ben are you okay?! What's wrong?! What do I do to help you?!" I bombard him with questions. "Do I wake up Klaus? Would that make things worse. He's hungover. But so am I. Should I call someone?! No he's dead only Klaus and I can see him. Oh god I don't know what to do! I- "
"Alex. I'm fine, it's just- when I died, it was the worst thing I've ever experienced and I'm still not mentally over it. How are you so casual about all of this?" He asks.
"I'm just so accustomed to it. It's routine for me. You should have seen me when I was 9. The first time they murdered me. I was a wreck. I actually committed suicide, but surprise surprise, it didn't fucking work. Then my parents forced me to detox and it was the worst feeling. I had forgotten that the whole necromancy thing was a package deal to all the voices. All the damned voices that never shut up! They drive you crazy, and soon, soon they materialize. That day I discovered a new trick about my power; if I'm near the body, doesn't matter how old it is, I can force the spirit and soul of that person back into their body and control them. Then after I was so afraid that I shoved the spirit into limbo, and since then I've been addicted to something that makes the voices stop and that can also suppress my powers. And finally, I found these babies." I say holding up a baggie of colourful pills and my carton of cigs.
"That's awful Alex. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that alone and afraid. Maybe you could come back with us? To the academy?" Ben asks.
"I wouldn't want to intrude and Hargreeves seems like a colossal ass douche. No offence." I say holding up my hands. "None taken. And you wouldn't be a burden. I think dad would want to meet you." Ben says.
I give it some thought, and while thinking Ben and I both hear Klaus moan and awaken. "Good morning Klaus!" I say cheerfully. "How was your sleep?" I ask.
"Trippy." He says and runs his eyes with the backs of his hands, exposing his 'hello' and 'goodbye' tattoos.
"What're you guys talking about?" He ask while stifling a yawn.
"I think Alex should stay with us." Ben intervened before I could answer.
"That's a great idea!" Klaus jumps.
"You can have the room beside mine! Only if bens okay with it though, that used to be his room." Klaus looks at Ben with puppy eyes.
"I'm fine with it as long as you, Klaus, don't pester her all the damn time." Ben said looking directly at Klaus. Klaus feigned hurt and placed his hand over his chest dramatically. "How could you ever accuse me of something so, childish?" He asks while beginning to fake cry.
"For starters, you're wearing one of Allison's feather boas." Ben states and I look over and realize he's right. A laugh escapes my lips and suddenly I can't stop. Klaus joins in, stating that it's 'fashion'.
Once we all calm down, I inform them of my decision.
"I'd like to join you guys, I really would. But there's stuff I need to do at home first. But I promise I should be done soon. I'll call you when I'm done and we can all go together okay?" I ask.
"Okay. We'll be waiting for your call Alex." Ben says smiling.
I smile back and tell them that I have to go.
"See ya soon Alexxx!" Klaus says while taking a seat in the roof again.
"See ya soon!" I say laughing.
I make my way down the building and walk for a few minutes before reaching my apartment. I take the fire escape stairs and climb in through my bedroom window. Cautiously turning around I see my parents, again.
"What are you not understanding about a fucking curfew?!" My father yells quite infuriated.
"The core concept I guess?" I say about to go back out the window, before my father grabs the back collar of my shirt and throws me in a chair. My mother grabs some rope and ties my ankles and wrists to the legs and arms of the chair. "Kinky." I say smirking.
"Shut the fuck up, you lousy bitch! You are a mistake and a curse! We never even wanted fucking kids!" My mother screams as she pulls out a knife from god knows where. She slashed my arms and chest with the knife and I wince and try to hold in my cries, knowing it shows weakness which will ultimately make things worse.
My father chuckles at the sight of me. He leaves the room and returns a few moments later with a large utility knife. He stabs me repeatedly in the stomach and by this point I'm fading fast. I can feel my soul leaving my body behind, and then suddenly, I don't feel anything and I see the building that Klaus and I were on earlier. Maybe I can get to Ben and ask for help?
The building might be too far away. I've only got 3 minutes this round.
I decide to try and run to the building. Just as I reach the elevator, I'm pulled back into my body. Gasping for breath, I look around and my parents are still there.
"W-why are you still he-here?" I question, stuttering due to just resurrecting.
"Oh, we're not done with you yet. The nights just getting started." My mother says before punching me. My head whips to the left and the force was so powerful that the chair falls to the ground. A new found pain surfaces as I look down and see a puddle of my own blood beneath me. My eyes widen as I realize their plan.
"How many times are you assholes gonna kill me tonight?" I ask.
"Until the break of dawn." My father answers,
"Your a monster!" Before kicking me anywhere he can. As I'm being kicked, I feel a thin wire wrap around my neck and I immediately begin to choke. As soon as I die this time, I sprint to the building and make it up the elevator and onto the roof. "Ben! Klaus! Help me, please!" I say running onto the rooftop. They turn and look at me, eyes widening at my current state.
"Alex!" Klaus yells getting to me first. He goes to pull me towards him only for my hand to go through him. His eyes widen with realization. "Alex, your-"
"Dead. Yes. Listen, I don't much time left. I need you guys to go rescue me. Please. My parents are out of control and their just continuously murdering me. Please I need you to save me." I say starting to feel a familiar pull.
"Alex. Where are you right now?" Ben asks supporting my weight.
"I'm in my bedroom in the sketchy apartment down by the-" I say only to be tugged backwards.
"Alex?" Klaus asks.
"Fuck! I'll be back in 10 minutes. I promise. Don't move" I say with pleading eyes. They nod and poof, I'm gone and back in my bedroom on the floor.
Again, gasping for breath, I'm being taken into my bathroom. The bathtub is full with ice cold water and my father grabs my neck, and shoved my head under the water. I begin to panic and thrash around to try and escape. He lifts me up, only for a split second. I take a deep inhale before being plunged back into the water. I can't breathe and then suddenly, I'm outside the building again. I sprint and make it to the roof in time.
"Klaus she's back!" Ben yells at the druggie. Klaus runs towards me and right away asks, "where are you?"
"36 Milner Street, apartment 201. Use the fires escape my bedroom window is the only one open. They both have knives and other devices. I'm in the bathroom. Please help me." I say tears beginning to form in the corners of my eyes.
"I'll be there soon Alex. I promise you." Klaus says and Ben nods. I blink and I'm back at my apartment, wet and bloody, gasping for breath. My parents smirk and I know I'm in for a rough ride.
Come on Klaus, I'm counting on you.