Chapter- 06

*mildly edited; please point out mistakes :)*

•••

❝I can't tell if it's killing me or making me stronger.❞ -Unknown

•••

Juliet's POV

I ran out of the room with the speed of lightning, all feelings of embarrassment rushing through my veins. My heart was beating so fast, I could feel it in my throat.

When I reached the last stair, I ran into Luciana who grabbed my shoulders before I could move any further. She gave me a concerned look when she saw the tears but I just shook my head as a way of saying, 'not right now'.

I moved past her and to the small room allotted to all the maids, including me. I sat on the makeshift bed sobbing my soul out. I cried for my lost dignity, I cried for my parents. I cried because I wanted to go home already and I cried because I couldn't believe I was still mildly attracted to the jerk.

It was pathetic, really. The teeny tiny bit of crush I had developed over the man whose name I still didn't know and who was an absolute A grade asshole with no sympathy. Maybe it was Stockholm syndrome, but I wasn't really held hostage here. Kind of. Now though, I was ready to go home.

And so I spent the next few hours, trying to come up with a safe escape plan to execute at night. I could try asking him to let me go nicely as I wasn't held here prisoner but I didn't want to risk it. Who knows, what he could do if I angered him further. Kill me perhaps.

---

I failed. At planning an escape route. And so now at 1.17am, I decided to say fuck it and just go for it. Plan or not. It was a dumb move I guess but I was too far gone to stop now. Might as well start preparing for my funeral.

I stalked the dark hallways, silently. I knew where the estate doors were, which was the main entrance and where the guards particularly stood most of the time. I had enough time in these past weeks to analyze the functioning of this place. It may not be much but it will do enough.

Just as I begin to take a turn, I heard voices. I stopped against a wall remembering to keep my breathing still. It was 2 guards from what I could make out. I couldn't hear what they were saying though. They continued their steady walking and turned a turn to the opposite direction of where I was standing. I sighed quietly, Thank Heavens that went well.

I stealthily turned to where they came from and tip-toed to an entrance towards the right side of the estate. It was a gate that was not very heavily protected but you wouldn't know about it unless you took a tour of this place in depth. Which I made sure to take as soon as I started staying here.

I reached the door and looked around for anyone in sight before slowly twisting the knob, only to find it locked. I cursed under my breath. Just my luck, of course, it would be locked.