You prevented it once. Could you really do it again?

"How could you say that?" Obito yelled loudly, his words clearly audible in the street outside the shop. "You shouldn't think about your comrades or yourself that way! Where'd this even come from, anyway? You've been weird lately, (y/n)."

Weird? I'm trying so hard to hide everything Minato and I talked about. I shouldn't be surprised. Obito knows me so well by now, of course he could see that something was up.

Before you could respond to Obito's concerns, an arm reached in to lift up the banners from the shop to reveal Kakashi standing there.

"Obito. (y/n). Lord Hokage needs to see us. Now." 

And just as quickly as he appeared, he left.

You and Obito exchanged quiet glances before paying and heading to the office together.

~~~

"Really? Do you mean that, Minato-sensei?" Obito questioned in disbelief. You, Obito and Kakashi were called to the office for the purpose of going on an A-rank mission together. It was uncommon for Chunin to go on such high level missions, but Kakashi's status as a Jonin allowed some leeway for the two of you.

Minato nodded. "Your task is to find a man named Akito Yamanaka, a former Hidden Leaf Shinobi who went rogue due to an altercation in the Yamanaka clan."

The Yamanaka clan... that's the clan Ino is from.

"He's incredibly dangerous. His clan's specialty is the mind transfer jutsu. Akito modified his clan's secret technique to form a special technique, one that is notorious for digging into your mind and destroying one's will."

Destroy one's will? Sounds like the Sharingan, the type that is able to put others in a spirit-crushing genjutsu.

"Alright, leave it to us!" Obito said enthusiastically as he began to head out the door, only to immediately stop.

"...Uh, but what should we do when we find him?"

Minato stared blankly at Obito.

"He wants us to assassinate him. Idiot." Kakashi finished Minato's thoughts.

Obito growled in irritation. "I've just about had it with –"

"Obito," Minato interrupted with a slightly raised voice.

"...Yes, sensei," he muttered, his agitated eyes directing toward the floor.

"Akito was last spotted in the Land of Fire. We suspect that he plans on returning to the Hidden Leaf to steal secrets from the Yamanaka clan, and possibly other secrets as well. Your task is to find and intercept him before he can react. Use this to guide you," Minato said as he handed you a map of the Land of Fire, where a specific area was highlighted.

"I suggest you start your search here. If he can't be found, go here," he added and pointed out the specified areas marked on the map.

"The Yamanaka clan is counting on you three."

"Yes, Lord Hokage," you and Kakashi said in unison. Obito was the one to break the synchronization with a, "Yes, Minato-sensei." The three of you then scattered.

"Lord Hokage, do you think it's really wise to send out friends against an enemy like that?" questioned Minato's assistant. "His specialty is severing bonds, after all."

"That's precisely why I had Kakashi join them on this mission," Minato stated, looking unconcerned. "Kakashi does have a bond with (y/n) and Obito. It's fragile, but it's there. But Kakashi is more level-headed than the other two. He's a decent safeguard just in case this doesn't work. However, I have confidence that it won't come to that."