Waiting

Jacqui's POV

I'm sorry, how long does he expect me to wait for Skye? I splashed the water in the Fountain when an image of Skye lying before Linus filled it.

"This is taking to long!"

The enemy had been on the move as Josephine's Trial took place. She's going to kill him slowly. My heart ached in some emotion I wasn't accustomed to. Who in the Nexus let her go first?!

Well, there was nothing I could do about it now. It was against godly law to mess around the others affairs. At least, it has been since Amber's incident.

If Skye lives through this, no! When Skye gets through this, it will be Jasper's turn next. He specifically asked Father to go after Josephine and luckily, Father granted it. Jasper didn't want me to go to the Fountain alone, but what choice do I have? Skye is busy at the moment and the souls surrounding the Fountain won't be there for much longer. I can't miss this opportunity to see who is watching!

But if the souls see you, then the enemy may be alerted and back off. I splashed the Fountain in frustration once again. If I could just disguise myself! But it'd be useless. I can't hide my power in my own realm. Jasper was right. It was to dangerous for me to go. We needed Skye to be the one that takes care of it.

How did I become so helpless? All I can do is watch and wait. I summoned the vision of Skye again. He was now sitting before Linus, furious as he watched Linus suck the blood out of one of his maidservant's children. How could I have given Life to someone so terrible? How could Josephine give him so much Power? Now she is having to clean up her mess. But she's not the maid.

"Ha ha ha!" I laughed just thinking about what Skye would say if he knew that Josephine was using him as her maidservant. Then a familiar presence entered my realm.

"It is good to hear your laugh."

I shrugged my shoulders as Nikolai sat beside me. We watched Skye silently for a bit. He was purposely allowing himself to fail killing Linus' guards in combat.

"Did you teach him this?" I motioned at the images playing before us.

"I taught him many things, but if he learned is a different matter." He calmly replied.

"How is it different? You teach someone, they learn. End of story." I folded my arms across my chest daring him to oppose me. He smiled kindly at me as he is wont to do.

"A teacher can bring about many things, but it is up to the student if they acquire the knowledge and then apply it."

"Hmm." I grumbled unhappily. He had a point. I turned back to the Fountain. Linus' guards were backing away from Skye for a reason that I missed. Linus was slowly approaching the seemingly unarmed human. Skye's eyes were trained on the Blood-Chief as he bared his fangs. I watched Skye as Linus knelt beside his neck, ready to draw blood, and Skye smirked. I wasn't the only one to notice. Linus kicked Skye with wind magic and threw him to the other side of his throne room. The other Draconi silently stepped further away from their King. Skye configured the dust around him to shoot higher in the air when he landed to cover his escape to the left side of the horrifying mortal. Linus didn't miss it. He bit his thumb and drew a Draconi rune on his sword arm. I closed my eyes and felt a hand on my forearm. I turned from the Fountain and faced my elder brother once again. His worried frown met my eyes.

"You don't have to watch."

"Yes, I do." I answered. "I chose him for this. His Trials are the beginning of an unrelenting and terrible journey. He lives yet I took his Life all the same. His wounds are what I decided for him. I must take responsibility for my actions. If I cannot even watch as he fights, I have no honor nor respect for what his Life might've been. I will not cower from the results of my actions."