CHAPTER 4

Loukas Spiridakou's POV

"What's with the hush-hush early in the morning?" I asked the maids who were having whispered conversations in the living room. I just welcome my visitor the daughter of one of my business associates who just came back to Greece yesterday, Cassie Vitalis.

Mrs. Soulis who was working for the head of the housekeeper for decades turned her attention towards me with wide eyes. "Good morning, sir. Anna here is just telling me that she saw Mrs. Spiridakou in the market this morning."

"Your mother?" Cassie asked innocently.

My gaze was locked on the elderly housekeeper. We both knew that the woman was not talking about my mother who was still out of the country at the moment. The Mrs. Spiridakou they had been talking about was my ex-wife. Even after our divorce they still referred to Sapphire as her married name.

"Ah, yes." I lied to her answering her question with an apologetic smile. "You see, I need to cancel our breakfast today since I need to fetch my mother in the market. I knew you just came back yesterday from the university abroad and I also promise to tour you around while your stay here but something came up."

She smiled at me demurely. "I understand. There will be a lot of next time, Loukas."

"Let me take you home."

She shook her dark head. "No, I will wait for my chauffeur here and you must go now and help your mom with her purchases."

It was on the tip of my tongue to kindly point out to her that my mother knew nothing about buying items on the marketplace. I wonder if she has ever been to one. I nodded and didn't waste my time instructing my driver to go to the market in town.

I was aware that Cassie Vitalis' father made it clear in the past that he wants me to marry her daughter so our family's association would be permanent but I haven't entertained the idea since I was fresh from divorce from my American wife.

Now he hinted again at the possibilities since his only daughter will come home for vacation and he wants me to tour her around during her stay. Her father was significant with my business venture but I was not interested in his daughter. She's a beautiful, educated, and traditional Greek girl but my mind was filled with nothing but the blonde green-eyed woman who was as cold and hard as her name.

Only last night my dreams were filled with the images of her lying in my arms again. Since she came back here to Greece I had trouble on how to control myself around her it was damn difficult to restrain myself when dealing with her.

Now she's messing with my head early in the morning. What madness had possessed her shop around the flea market without as much as bodyguard I would assume?

Finally, we arrived in the town where both locals and tourists made their way to the marketplace. I didn't waste my time searching for the familiar honey-blonde woman. I searched for her stalls after stalls wanting to see her as soon as possible.

"Enjoying your trip, agapiméni?"

She turned around from the souvenir shop and her mouth hang open at the sight of me. "How did—what are you doing here?"

I raised an eyebrow in her direction. "Is that a serious question? You do know who dangerous it is when you go around in town without protection. Did I remind you always in the past never leave without driver or at least bodyguard?"

She rolled her eyes on me and continue to shop. "You are not making any sense. Who will kidnap in broad daylight? Besides, you and I have divorced two years ago people in Greece probably vaguely remember me as your wife before so I'm pretty safe to be on my own. Also, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't care less if someone kidnaps me and demand ransom. I am nothing but your ex-wife."