46 - university

Elise Halder
————

Happiness looks really good on Luke Hemmings.

Everything does, in all honesty, because the man can make just about anything look good. Even anger—no, scratch that; he definitely makes angry look very good. But, even so, I'm finding that happy is by far my favorite look on him.

I think it's because his smile is different; brighter. I've seen him fake it before, and the real thing simply just doesn't compare. He has a really, really cute smile, especially when it's involuntary, to the point where he doesn't even realize he's doing it. And then, when he does finally notice, he bites down on the side of his bottom lip, in some weak, hardly conscious attempt to hide it.

It's kind of like what he's doing right now; lazily lounging on his couch a few cushions away from me, with his arms draped across the back and his teeth sinking into his lower lip in a poor attempt to hide the grin I caught him looking at me with. Not because he's bashful about it—not in the slightest—only because I couldn't stop the small smile that threatened my own lips, or the way my heart simply leaped at the sight.

He just looks so relaxed, and anyone who saw him now would have a hard time debating how clearly happy he is.

We aren't alone in his place for once; there are four others scattered around his living room indulging in their usual bickering. The difference this time, is that they've been wholeheartedly welcomed by Luke. In fact, he's the one who encouraged me to call them over. Which was in perfect timing, considering Cassie had told me they were about to show up anyways.

"Oi, Luke, can I have one of these beers?" It's Calum, calling out from the kitchen, shielded slightly by the cabinets.

"Absolutely not," Luke calls back, directing his attention away from me and to the boy rummaging through his fridge. "You can bring me one, though."

Calum scoffs, peeking past the island to glance at Luke with a frown. "Lame. It's not like I won't leave some for you."

"That's really not the issue here." Luke muses, and Calum pauses, thinking.

"I can't think of a single other reason why."

Luke raises a brow. "How about the fact that it's illegal?"

"What if I have one instead?" Ashton grins.

"How would that be any different, Irwin?" Cassie shakes her head at the boy.

"I'm more mature than Cal." He shrugs.

Calum snorts, calling back from the kitchen. "That's rich coming from the one who giggles at his own jokes."

He waves him away. "I'm funny. And wise."

"And you're under 21," Luke points out. "So, still illegal."

"You know what else is illegal?" Michael perks up from the other end of the couch, grinning.

"Watch it." Luke warns.

"What?" Michael shrugs innocently. "You don't even know what I was gonna say."

I sigh, and Luke crosses his arms. "I have a pretty good idea."

"We don't really need to continue this topic—" I cut in, leaning forward in an attempt to stop any embarrassing words.

"Oh yes, we do," Cassie pipes up, sitting upright from the floor. "It's my favorite one."

"Of course it is." Luke sighs, leaning further into the couch, essentially giving up.

I don't really blame him; we haven't been able to avoid a teasing comment once when we're all together. It's sort of a running theme, and I don't see it ending any time soon.