Chapter 12

Ismae's Pov

I felt like a great weight had been lifted off of my shoulders after I had told Kane about my past. I was still scared that he was going to tell someone or abandon me but for the past few days he's been sticking with me loyally on finding the other person that is going to help me. I am so glad that Kane is helping me otherwise who knows how long it would take for me to find this unknown guy.

I rolled onto my stomach on Kane's bed and looked at him where he was currently sitting at his big desk, staring at his laptop. "Have you found anything? Any leads?" I asked hopefully.

He turned around and said grumpily, "Yeah, I would have found something if you were helping me." I couldn't help but smile at how cute he was when he was grumpy. Wait, hang on. Cute?! Oh no. No way. I am not thinking about these type of things. Brain; shut up.

"Hey, are you ok? You look you're in pain." He stared at me, a concerned expression on his handsome face. Whoa, ok brain. I am not kidding now. Stop with the whole admiring thing. It is never gonna happen.

Putting on a fake smile, I reassured him. "Yeah, yeah. I'm feeling great. Absolutely fantastic, actually..."

"Okayy then." He gave me a weird look before going back to searching the internet. He started muttering incoherent stuff under his breath, a puzzled expression on his face. He turned back around to face me suddenly, and stated, "The prophecy tells us that the guy is a person who knows stuff to do with the mind. So does that mean he's a psychologist?"

"Well, if he was, that means that I'm gonna fall in love with a guy that's six years older than me, or something. Eww.." I wrinkled my nose in disgust while he scowled.

"Yeah, don't remind me about that part."

"Awww, is little Kaney jealous?" I teased jokingly.

He blushed and said, "So what if I am?"

He stared intensely at me and I gulped.

"Haha, no. You aren't jealous. We were just joking. Right?" I asked desperately. I didn't want to get into this right now. Love and romance was too complicated. You only get hurt.

He got up from his position on his chair stalked towards me, never breaking eye contact with me.

"Uh, Kane. What are you doing?" I asked nervously. I scooted towards the back of the bed. "You are not allowed to come any closer, mister." I wagged my finger at him, daring him to come closer.

He got on top of the bed and sat across from me. I breathed in deeply, inhaling his intoxicating scent of woods, musk and cinnamon. He was tantalisingly close to me. Too close.

"I want to ask you something. And I'd like you to answer truthfully." He said to me, imploring me with his eyes to listen.

I nodded, knowing I'd regret my decision to hear what he wanted to say.

"Do you like me?"

"Well, yeah. Of course I do." I knew where he was going with this and I was doing my best to avoid it.

"You know what I mean Ismae. Tell me."

"Uh, no. No. I most definitely do not like you like that." I lied.

"Really? Because I think you do. You're just afraid to admit it. But I know that I like you. And I'm not letting you go, Ismae. So I'll wait for you." With that he got off the bed, leaving me to stare after him in shock.

What the hell just happened?