Chapter 44 ∞ Lullaby

We made our way through the quiet street. There was hardly anyone around—only the occasional drunk traipsing on the sidewalk and a patrol who'd walk up to said drunk and scold them for loitering. No one took notice of us and we tried not to draw too much attention to ourselves either.

"Are you sure no one will see us?" my mother asked.

"Even if they don't, they'll still definitely smell us," Mistress Neilly replied.

"Yuagh..." Eren nearly vomited.

We eventually arrived in the house where Aunt Safia stayed. It was a small building with straight, square corners. There were plants with hanging vines draped over the window. The door was arched and was a beautiful mahogany. It was a very simple structure that possessed none of the intricacies the other buildings in the city had.

We all walked up the cobblestone path through the courtyard. My mother went first, knocking on the door.

"Safia," she began. "Safia, it's—"

Just as her knuckles landed, the door swung open—or, more precisely, it was left so. An ominous feeling rose inside me and I looked around us. I found nothing from my line of sight and my other senses did not pick up on anything either. I had a bad feeling, even so, and my mistress and mother picked up on it as well.

"Hellen, take the children," Mistress Neilly began.

"Neil," my mother firmly stated.

"I need to make sure Safia is alright. For now, make your way to War College. Laksa should be able to be of help."

With that, Mistress Neilly proceeded to enter the house while we began to hurry away.

Just as we bounded towards the gates, men appeared and surrounded us from all sides.

"Why are you leaving so soon?" someone inquired—that wasn't Aunt Safia, I was sure of it. But it sounded female.

My heart thumped as they caged us in. They weren't like the ones who'd infiltrated Oblivion, nevertheless. They didn't have the Veils hanging around them nor did they have the neon irises and dark red where the white of the eyes should be. They were regular men.

I looked at back at Mistress Neilly and found her backing away from the door to our direction.

"What is this?" my mother demanded.

"Don't mind my men," someone intoned. "I just paid a visit to an old witch in the city before I made my way over. I just didn't think I would be so lucky so as to encounter more as well. I didn't even need to come. You brought yourselves to me."

We turned and found a woman walking out of the humble house. It wasn't Aunt Safia. Rather, it was someone dressed in golden robes with dragons embroidered on the ends of the fabric. The corners of her eyes were drawn with dark blue lines, her brows straight and wispy. She had a small but round nose, eyes the color of electrifying silver.

The place didn't seem to be able to contain her presence at all. Just the sight of her alone was suffocating and domineering, to say the least. Some people had to earn respect slowly by showing their worth, but this woman would have it by just being there.

We cowered back while Eren reacted the strongest. Looking at the tense expression on the other girl's face, I realized she must recognize this woman.

I looked back at the woman dressed in golden robes. Her silver eyes met mine and they seemed to take on that curious albeit infuriated glint.

"So, this is the little princess of Oblivion," she said, her voice soft and sultry. "My ears picked up on a child living amongst you hags. If it weren't for that other child—" she looked at Eren "—I would've never known about her at all. You kept her presence tight under leash. What are you afraid of?"