Chapter 8 ∞ Befriend

The inexplicable coldness in my body receded minutes later. I felt like I had been thawed from a block of ice. They had me lie down on a bed to rest. I didn't really get to see what happened after because I unknowingly fell asleep. I only stirred to the sound of my mother and Laksa talking. As I had been dozing off that time, I did not remember much—even though I was truly tempted to listen in.

"Hellenia, your daughter is not like any other child who walked through those doors. It is a good thing I was the one to evaluate her, otherwise, I don't know how things would've gone. Keep this to yourself. We'll see how things turn out for her."

"Alright."

"I don't think it'll be wise to call on the healer here to look at her, though."

"It's okay. Kora is in Oblivion. I'll get him to check on Evyionne."

"Indeed." There was a pause. "Well, it seems we have no more problem here."

"Actually...I need to check on something. Would you help me? It is very important."

I fell asleep again. When I came to, there was a disturbing shake that rattled my bed. I woke up startled by the commotion. For a second, I thought there was an earthquake—at least, my dream told me there was. And I was convinced about that possibility until I saw a head ducking under the bed I was lying in. A green dress sparkled under the light, taking refuge under the covers.

Footsteps echoed and someone knocked on the door.

"Excuse me?" The knobs turned and a head poked in. I exchanged stares with a man. A very familiar one too.

It was that steward from before. The arrogant one. I believe Laksa called him "Steward Anson."

I rubbed my eyes sleepily before staring at him, wondering what he came for. Was it for the stowaway under my bed?

He cleared his throat. "Have you seen the girl I was with?" he asked.

I debated what to answer—whether I should say yes or no.

"Did you hear my question?" he repeated, mildly irritated at my silence.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I don't think so. I was sleeping this entire time."

He didn't seem convinced. He looked around the room for anything suspicious. Eventually, he decided I wasn't worth his time and closed the door.

After some time passed, I felt the stowaway shift from under the bed.

"You can get out now," I said.

"Thank you!"

I eyed her again, taking my time to examine her closely for the second time around. She was as I had first seen her—except more disheveled. The prim and proper little girl of a while ago had turned into an utter mess. My guess was that she'd gotten that way from running around.

"So...why are you running away? Who was he?" I asked. I felt entitled to knowing at least, considering I had helped her.

"That man?" She sighed. "I really don't like him."

"Yes. He seemed very arrogant," I said.

"I know!" she exclaimed.

"Where are your parents?" I inquired.

"Well, it's not like they can simply come out and accompany me." She rolled her eyes and sat on the edge of the bed, playing with her fingers as she did. "They're way too busy at the moment." Light flowed into her face and she brightly smiled at me.

"Why? What do they do?"

She didn't answer and instead said, "Can I stay? Let's play a game!"

"What about that man?"