Chapter 5: Day Out

My mother was rarely by my side because of work. I would usually have a caretaker, a blind woman called Safia, come around before dinner time to take care of me. That way, they would not mind me being all by myself as they set off on the other side of the courtyard to work. I did not mind the change of pace though. Hellenia had been nothing but kind and affectionate to me even though I was not her flesh and blood. I did not see her any differently from a real mother.

After a healthy dinner, I dropped by the library to pick up a book with regards to the special people mentioned earlier. Though my mistresses were probably not to keen on giving me tougher terms considering my age, I believed the proper term for those people would be Conduits.

Upon retrieving the right book, I saw myself to my room and found my mother waiting for my change of clothes, ready to put me to bed.

"A book again? Is it a storybook this time?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"May I see?"

I handed her the book, somewhat hesitant, and she smiled wryly upon seeing the title. Though the subject was not exactly tough to understand, that only went for teens and adults. Biologically, I was six years old, and this was not among the things that I should be concerning myself with. Nor normally interested it.

"It must be my fault..." she whispered. "I've never brought you outside before."

"It's okay, mama," I said.

She set the book to the side and began to help me into my pajamas. I would normally prefer to get dressed by myself now and assert my independence, but I did not protest this time. These moments between my adoptive mother and myself had grown rare lately. I knew it would not last very long as I grew up either. Though an adult inside, I wouldn't say I did not enjoy the love of a parent. There was a pleasure in having someone to depend on. I had lost this privilege a bit too early in my last life.

"There are things I must tell you about tomorrow. Do you promise to listen to me?" she asked, as I stepped into the pants she was stretching open.

I nodded.

"Alright, dear. Take a seat." She smoothed out my clothes before patting the space next to her.

I plopped on the low, platform bed and smiled, not bothering to hide my excitement.

"First, you must hold my hand. You must not let go," she said, retrieving a comb she'd prepared earlier and running them through my locks. "Second, in case you get lost, you must find a guard. They wear very bright, dark red uniforms and they usually carry swords. Their uniforms will have a bright, golden dragon. You must go to them and stay in one place. They will protect you while I come find you."

I nodded.

"Third, you must listen to what I say. If you misbehave, it may be the last time we leave."

"Okay."

"Now, we will be meeting a friend of mine tomorrow. His name is Laksa, and he will be testing you for your affinity. He is a kind man, so be sure to be courteous and greet him with respect, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good girl. If all goes well tomorrow, we should have some time to go around and play. Can you repeat everything I said just now?"

After parroting what I was told, I climbed to bed and slipped under the covers. Meanwhile, she stood up and went over to my open windows, eyeing the distant bright lights and the music that drifted off the opposite building. She pulled them close and locked them tight, turning to me with a light smile. "You can read for one hour, but you must sleep when I come to check on you. Alright?"