121 - Between The Lines - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Peony will not be a problem anymore. Felix and Mike dealt with him after the mock execution and sent him on his way away from the castle."

He doesn't describe any further, just squeezes my shoulder and glances to Lily again before leaving. Lily mumbles something quietly and rolls over on her side for a while, but other than that sleeps through it.

I was prepared to lose people the moment we were sent to the Tepet army. Honestly, with how many enemies we were up against when we descended the glazier I expected most of us to die. Even more so when Lily's weapon broke against an enemy shield and most of the blade flew into the crowd. She too was shocked beyond words and had actually tossed the rest of the weapon into the enemy crowd in anger before beginning her chant. In fact, with how we were targeted yesterday, we have been blessed with how few ended up dying, and a lot of it comes down to Vitis being a good commander as well and Lily's fast reaction when she realized it was a trap. 

What makes this incident as horrible as it is, is the fact that it was a life that would have been saved if Peony had been anyone else in the company. Even those that were shaking in terror when we were about to charge would likely have done better since Rudder was supposedly quite calm until Peony betrayed him. There's no doubt that everyone wishes Rudder had been the one to return instead of Peony, but it is not something we can change. We cannot start over and take a better route where we toss Peony out before we even got to the battlefield. That is not how reality works. However, I'll make sure to fulfill Rudder's wishes the best I can, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels this.

—-*—-

Around evening Lionel Tepet returned. He was no longer in armor, so I guess he was done with work for the day. The skin under his eyes seemed baggy, but his eyes focused directly at the open door and then at me. Let there be no doubt, he was heading directly for the room and just now he just judged me. Knowing nobility, the way he instantly went back to facing the door I know he finds it acceptable. Checking Lily's condition just outweighs giving me attention.

I straighten up as he gets close and open the door further, which makes him stop up and face me. He doesn't look annoyed or hostile, just a bit surprised.

"How is Augustus?" He asks calmly. Again, surprisingly turning his attention towards me. He does glance into the room, but he's clearly expecting an answer.

"Celeste-sama has yet to wake up properly even once. It has been a calm sleep, Lord Lionel," I report formally. The look of relief on his face condemn him as just as guilty for worrying as the rest of us, and that he for sure knows about her nightmares and her actual gender.

Everything considered, I think Lord Lionel would make a good partner for Lady Lily. He lets her do what she demands and wants, and is there to not only save her when things go wrong, but he can also get through the defenses to her heart. If not for Lionel, then Lily probably wouldn't have opened up to us during the march. He doesn't go easy on her, and honestly I am relieved that a person as Lord Lionel has appeared for her. Even if I stand by her side there are things that I cannot do as a knight, and one of them is to push boundaries she does not want me to. I can only stand by her side and push a little bit at a time.

Still, as part 'punishment' for calling our lady cute, I decide to attempt to 'bully' him carefully.

"Tepet-sama, I would caution you against getting near Celeste-sama during sleep. Celeste-sama is quite uncomfortable with being woken up. Though, I heard Celeste-sama likes poetry. Perhaps you could attempt performing poetry to wake Celeste-sama up gently." 

I somehow get this out with a straight face... though, Lord Lionel does not manage to keep a straight face. His eyes narrow in immediate realization that my words might be right... and then that I might be trying to make him look foolish in front of Lily. Of course, since there is technically nothing wrong with my comment he cannot accuse me of anything and thus just give me this stare of 'I know what you are doing and you should stop'.

"I will take my chances with waking her up normally," he responds calmly and walks past me without any other words. If nothing else my words serve as a warning that he's getting a bit too close to her. After all, she is still engaged to the crown prince, no matter how little the world of politics entertain her, and if it is clear enough to me as a knight that they are getting too close, then it is clear enough for anyone else that observe... which is hopefully no one... I can't help but to glance to the maid. She hasn't done anything out of the ordinary, but I'd rather be a bit suspicious than fail to notice someone.

The maid smiles to me as I finally give her proper attention and then take a few steps closer till she stands at my side. Her hands still neatly folded in front of her as we both sneakily watch Lionel try to wake Lily up, starting out by speaking to her and place a hand on her head to take her temperature again since she apparently has a fever.

There's nothing suspicious at this point... except for the words the maid lean in to whisper against my ear while we watch.

"The two of them make a good match, yes?"