Chapter 42 - Two Hours

Ty's POV

No sign of Clayton since the fight. Lili's hand has been healing slowly for the past few days. It was pretty stupid of her to cut it open, but it was probably the only way to get them to stop fighting. She never really got her answer, is she evil still or not? Something dawns on me.

"Jason?" I call out through the room. He looks up from his phone to make eye contact. Once he does, he looks back down but still listens. Mitch doesn't move one bit from his homework desk. "How long were they gone?" I question.

"Uh.. Lola said for a few hours," Jason replies while taking a selfie.

"A few hours," I mumble to myself. "Like maybe two?"

When I say that, Jason and Mitch both instantly look up at me. Jason's eyes are wide as his gaze moves over to meet with Mitch's eyes. My gaze slowly moves down to his hoodie pocket. Something shines within.

"Mitch..." Jason moves away from him cautiously. "Mitch..." Jason repeats louder. "Were you there for two hours?" Jason and I slowly move closer to the window.

"No," Mitch easily replies. Then his eyes shine with something I can literally only describe as evil. "More," he smirks widely then pulls out the knife he took with him to the woods. Before I can think, he's pouncing at Jason.

"Jason!" I shout. I grab his shirt, pulling him out of the way just in time. Mitch's knife rips the mattress Jason was just sitting on. Making my way to the window, I unlock it as fast as I can. My hands are shaking too much. Jason pushes me out of the way, opens it himself then pulls us both through. We slam it shut together before Mitch can make it out.

Then we run.

We run until out lungs burn, begging for a real breath. Until our legs ache. Until I can taste blood in the back of my mouth. We're finally at the field near the forest before we stop running. Hunched over, we lean on our knees and rest. Our heavy breaths drown out any other noises around us.

"Why... didn't... our... shouts... wake... anyone... up?" Jason's words come out between breathes. I stand up straight and look towards campus.

"I don't... know," I reply honestly.

Realization hits me.

"The girls."