I'm back - 22 | evil stepsister

𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚎'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠
𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝚊𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚕 𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚑, 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

I heard the sizzling of Aiden's asparagus as a loud clang echoed around the kitchen. Carmen had thrown a spoon, "This is utterly ridiculous! I can't believe they expect us to do this," she boasted, crossing her arms over her chest stubbornly.

I stared at her for a moment, even squinting and trying to look closer. Is her brain... working? "You mean cooking dinner?" I ask, stirring the mashed potatoes once more. She nods, checking her nails. "Carmen, they do this for us every night," some parents anyway. "We can do it for them just once."

Aiden nodded in agreement, "Besides, it's a great way to bond?" But it came out as more of a question than a statement.

Meredith thought a good way for the three of us to bond would be to cook dinner together, a steak dinner. Though I think she just wanted one and this was the cheaper option, she is making my dad pay for this large, extravagant wedding. 

So here I was, stirring the mashed potatoes and listening to Carmen either complain or talk about boys. "Do you guys remember that Zach guy?" Amongst her snide remarks and many complaints, this statement caught my attention. 

I wanted to be snarky and say that of course I did, he was one of my best friends and my boyfriend. Though I don't think she knows about that yet. "Yep," I said, popping the p in annoyance. 

She smiled, "Well, I think he's really cute." I glared at her, but she didn't seem to notice. "I think I'm going to ask him to be my date to the wedding. Do you think he'll go for me?" She looked to me for an answer, as if she finally remembered that Aiden and I were close with him.

She looked dreamy-eyed, but the thought of her even getting close to Zach made my blood boil. The possessiveness in me was coming out and I hated it. Zach isn't mine, he's my boyfriend- and I don't control him. 

I can't control what Zach nor Carmen does, but I do have control over how I react. So I shook my head slowly, "Definitely not." I stirred the potatoes one last time before I turned around, leaning against the counter. 

Her smile fell and was replaced with a sneer. She laughed, "I don't know why I even asked you, of course he would go for me." She was just flattering herself at this point, "Because man, I could just lick every single one of those muscles-"

I was mere moments from exploding when Aiden, my lovely brother, cut her off. "Alright, we get the picture: you like him. But unfortunately, he has a girlfriend." Aiden glanced at me and I gave him a reassuring smile. 

I've had to learn to keep my cool in situations like these with family. The only thing is, Carmen is all new territory. She isn't a friend, but she isn't family either. She would have no problem at all going for Zach, because what does she have to lose?

Her eyes widened as she contemplated his words, "He has a girlfriend?" both Aiden and I nodded. "Who?" Aiden pointed at me and she stared at me in disbelief, "He's dating you?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "So Zach will be my date to the wedding," I pointed out triumphantly. 

I have a feeling that the only reason she's even going for him is that he's extremely attractive, and he's the one thing I have that she doesn't. It might sound selfish to hold one person away from another, and maybe it is. But her intentions with him are all bad, and I know that he wouldn't want anything to do with her anyway.

She hummed, "We'll see about that."

Before I could respond the scent of something burning hit my nose, my eyes widened. "Aiden, the asparagus!" He sniffed the air and I saw his face change as he realized it. He whipped around and quickly stirred them, trying to stop that charring.