I'm back - 03 | the party from hell

𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚎'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠
𝚜𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚑, 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

I dreaded this afternoon, why on earth do I need a 'welcome home' party? According to dad, it sends a good message, but who the fuck cares about titles and reputations? Not me.

I walked into the living room, slumping down on the couch next to Ryan. Both he and Daphne look up from her Ipad and at me. She sighs, "Yes, Annalise?"

I did want to complain to her, but she doesn't seem to be in the mood. "Oh nothing, nothing." I wave her off dramatically, clearly wanting her attention.

At that moment Aiden walks into the room from the kitchen with Zach in tow, "Don't pay any mind to her, she's just upset because our extended family is coming over tonight for a welcome home party."

I scoff, upset? I am more than upset, I'm repulsed- I was pulled from my thoughts by Ryan, chiming in his opinion that no one asked for. "Don't you guys love your family though?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, "Some of them.." I mumbled under my breath. Sometimes I felt bad about my attitude towards my family, but then I start to remember all the things they said and did to me and my mother, and the feelings come right back.

Aiden rolled his eyes, "It's not about the party itself. Annalise is just anxious to see our relatives, they can be.. pretty judgemental."

Daphne eyes us both, "Pretty judgemental?.." The tone of her voice clearly voices that that is bullshit.

I nodded, I can't help agreeing with her. "Understatement of the year," I grumbled.

Zach being the newest member- not counting my two-year-long hiatus- seemed very confused, "It can't be that bad, right? I mean it's just your family." He said, glancing between Aiden and I.

I nodded, sitting up. "Oh yes it can! At our last party, before I moved two years ago my Aunt Fiona called me fat," I paused for effect, "to my face!" I pointed upwards.

Aiden shrugged, face neutral. "Aunt Fiona is very blunt." Why is he defending her?

"Stop defending her, Aiden!" I growled.

He held his hands up in surrender, "You're right, I'm sorry." He apologized quickly. He took a deep breath, "Aunt Fiona, She's just a very bitchy and unhappy person. All the time."

All of our friends were looking between us as if trying to find a solution. Zach spoke first, "Why can't you say something to your dad?" Zach asked, clearly never having met my father.

I love my fad, but when it comes to confrontation with his older sisters, he'd rather poke his eye out with a rusty spoon. He would do anything to please Fiona and Barbara, almost anything. 

"Because," I huffed out a quick explanation. "He loves Aunt Fiona and I'll feel bad. I just got home, I don't want to ask even more of him."

Daphne and Ryan sat there awkwardly, "Alrighty then." Both having been around long enough to see our aunts in action, Daphne was in attendance three summers ago when Aunt Fiona told me that 'my thighs jiggled like uncooked chicken,' I had almost shoved her into the pool.

But my mother, she did.

Aiden checked his watch, "We need to get ready soon, the party is at seven." Aiden's eyes were pleading, so I simply nodded, silently promising to be on my best behavior. I just got back, I really didn't want to start any more new drama.

Daphne nodded and stood up, "We should get going." She nudged Ryan with her arm and he followed in suit.

I groaned, watching them all file out. "All right, I'll see you guys later." There goes my defense.