Chapter 1: Just the Way Things Are

Start from the beginning

         "You called at the perfect time! Rodney is trying to get me to go see this scary movie with him and I need a good excuse not to go."

         I smiled, "well my timing is perfect then because I need a good excuse to get out of the house."

         "Daddy issues or packing issues?" She asked knowingly.

         "A little bit of both. Can you come pick me up?"

         "I'll be there in fifteen." She said just before hanging up the phone.

         I could always count on my best friend to provide the perfect distraction. Rochelle always had my back, even when I didn't know I needed help. She just knew things that way. I would definitely miss that over the summer.

         In Cali, I would have no one but my auntie Vera and I hadn't seen her since I was a kid. Even back then I always knew that something was different about her. She was strangely unique in her own way and she made no apologies for it. Maybe some of her uniqueness would bleed into me and help me figure out what I wanted to do in life. Or maybe I'd only end up having one weird, cooky ass summer.

         I grabbed my purse and my keys from the kitchen counter before making my way out.

         "I'll be back dad. 'Chelle is picking me up." I called over my shoulder.

          He was already half asleep in his chair because he mumbled something too low for me to hear. I assumed it was an "okay" or, "be back before the street lights come on", or something along those lines. I already knew the rules. He would probably be in bed by the time I came home, but I knew to stick by the rules anyway.

          'Chelle blew her horn, rushing me just as I was coming out of the house. Her music rumbled low in her car, but the bass from the beat caused her small Toyota to vibrate loudly.

         She was on the phone with Rodney when I got in. Apparently, he wasn't fond of the recent change of plans. Her and Rodney argued like brother and sister, yet their arguments never lasted long. They would make up by the end of the night.

        "So, what are we getting into tonight Tay?" Rochelle ask when she was finally done arguing with her boyfriend.

         "I don't know," I shrugged, "that's what I called you for."

         Rochelle always knew what was going on. Whether it was a party, a kickback, or just a random cookout, she always knew.

         'Chelle looked over at me slightly annoyed, "You're lucky Cynetta told me about her house party at the salon today."

      See? She had all the connections. I wasn't as active in the social scene as Rochelle. Her and Rodney were really my only friends, and I liked it that way. I tended to read vibes off of most people very well. Bad vibes were everywhere so I chose to stay close to my friends.

         "Is Will going to be there?" I had to ask.

          Will was my on and off again boyfriend. We never argued like Rodney and Rochelle did. We always seemed to find a way to silently drift apart when things got rocky. This time, though he wouldn't show it, I knew he was feeling some kind of way about my extended trip to California.

        "I doubt it," said 'Chelle, "but who knows."

         I hadn't spoken to him in almost a week, so I guess that meant we were broken up again. Communication wasn't really our thing, but that's how we worked. I didn't like most people to begin with and Will just made it too easy to be done with him when I wanted to be.