the one with realizations

Hi! Thanks for reading! I love all the support I've been given with this story—every comment, review, favorite, add, follow, etc. helps big time 😊 I am dealing with a major writer's block as my muse has left me for his very own spring break (going on three weeks, though). Yuck. Well, all the support I've gotten has allowed me to crank these chappies out and if you have any ideas about where you want things to go—let me know, I'll see if I could include it 😉 Happy reading!

Ally Layne.

"There were worse things than dying,

And those worse things happened to

The people you left behind."

- P. C. Cast

Huntress and Gandalf rode on Bilbo Baggins' sides, careful to make sure that the Hobbit knew what he was doing as they continued their way. Both knew that he was new to riding a pony and neither wanted their Burglar to be hurt this soon into the journey, if at all.

The dwarves continued to ride on ahead, chattering on sometimes in their language that has been kept a secret from all others, excluding a few specific persons. Huntress was surely one of them.

From what she heard, they were placing bets on when Thorin will let his anger out on the Hobbit first. For some reason, that didn't rub the Ranger the right way at all. Thorin won't be yelling at Bilbo as long as I'm still breathing.

"Did you all bet on if I showed up or not?" Bilbo asked.

The Hobbit was riding his pony, Myrtle, stiffly and holding the reigns with white knuckles. Huntress had never seen someone ride a pony so awkwardly, herself. And she grew up riding and had seen many different failed attempts at others trying to get accustomed to their horse.

"Of course," Huntress said. "We are with dwarves, Bilbo. It is to be expected."

He glanced around him quickly, letting out a half-hearted laugh. "Yes, I suppose it is."

"A real hearty bunch, are they not?" Gandalf asked. He took a few puffs of his pipe as he leaned back on the saddle and gazed upon his companions. "It will surely make for an interesting journey."

Huntress nodded in agreement.

After an hour of making sure Bilbo was comfortable enough to ride without an accident, Huntress made her way back to the pair of brothers that made her feel like she was back at home with her niece and nephew. They reminded her so much of her dear Aragorn and Aranelle, even down to the way they bickered.

"What are you two doing, now?" she asked, as she rode in between them with a lazy grin.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Kíli flirted, leaving Fíli to throw him a look.

"Actually, I would."

Fíli grinned. "We were just discussing your little brawl with Dwalin, last night. How did you come to fight like that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

The brothers rolled their eyes in unison, which was oddly not the weirdest thing she's seen.

"Yes, we would," Kíli confirmed.

She shrugged. "It's a ranger's secret."

They gapped. "You lie!" Kíli exclaimed.

Huntress laughed, and their shock turned into annoyance. "You're such a sneak," Fíli scolded.

She chose to ignore the blonde dwarf. "Actually, I learned at a very young age. I was taught by elves."