"So, how do you two know each other?" James prods, his gaze flickering between us with an air of skepticism.

"We've crossed paths recently," Christian answers vaguely, offering no further details.

I glance at James, who seems unsatisfied with the cryptic response. The café, once a neutral ground, now feels like a battlefield of emotions.

Christian's guarded demeanor takes on a subtle shift, a flicker of protectiveness emerging in his eyes as James continues his pointed questioning. Sensing the change in the atmosphere, I offer a small smile to Christian, silently conveying gratitude for the unspoken shield.

"Victoria and I are just catching up over coffee, James," Christian interjects, his tone firm yet measured.

James, undeterred, smirks and leans in a bit too close for comfort. "Catching up, huh? Seems like there's more to the story. What's the mysterious stranger's connection to you, Victoria?"

I glance at Christian, who now wears a subtle frown, his protective instincts becoming more apparent. I decide to address James directly, attempting to steer the conversation away from uncomfortable territories.

"James, it's really not that mysterious. We're just getting to know each other. No hidden agendas," I assert, hoping to diffuse the tension.

James, however, seems determined to press on. "Victoria, you've always been one for surprises. Who is he? I've never seen you with him before."

Christian's jaw tightens, a silent warning to James. Sensing the growing discomfort, I decide it's time to put an end to the impromptu interrogation.

"James, I appreciate your concern, but there's truly nothing more to it. Christian and I are just having a casual conversation. Now, if you'll excuse us, we were enjoying our coffee," I say, firmness lacing my words.

James seems to finally catch on to the subtle cues. With a reluctant nod, he retreats, shooting one last lingering look at Christian before making his way back to the entrance of the café.

As the door chimes with his exit, the atmosphere settles into an uneasy calm. I turn to Christian, offering a grateful smile for his silent support.

"Thanks for handling that," I say, my voice soft.

Christian shrugs, his protectiveness still evident in his gaze. "No problem. Some people just don't know when to back off."

Our coffee, momentarily forgotten, has cooled to a tepid temperature.

"Do you have any plans for today?" Christian asks absentmindedly, trying to change the topic.

"Yeah, I'll be visiting the children's cancer hospital today," I tell with a smile. "After that I'll head over to the hospital for my shift."

Christian's gaze softens as he takes in my words about visiting the children's cancer hospital. There's a flicker of something in his eyes, a vulnerability that momentarily pierces through the guarded exterior. I sense a shift in the air, as if the storm within him has momentarily subsided.

"That's a wonderful thing to do," he responds, his voice carrying a note of sincerity. "Those kids will appreciate the company."

I nod, appreciating his genuine response. "I've been doing it for a while now. It started during my residency. It's a small gesture, but if it brings a smile to their faces, it's worth it."

Christian's eyes hold a quiet admiration, and for a moment, the barriers between us seem to fade. I decide to take the opportunity to learn more about him, curious about the man behind the mysterious facade.

"What about you?" I ask, a casual inquiry. "Do you have any plans for today?"

He hesitates for a moment, as if weighing whether to share his plans. "Not much, just taking it easy for now."

I respect his privacy, not pushing further. Instead, I offer a warm smile. "Well, if you ever want to join me at the hospital, you're more than welcome. The kids love meeting new people, and it can be quite uplifting."

Christian's expression softens further, and a fleeting warmth enters his eyes. "Maybe I'll take you up on that offer someday."

As we finish our now lukewarm coffees, there's a newfound ease between us. The encounter with James, though momentarily unsettling, has paved the way for a different kind of connection. The air is charged with unspoken emotions, and I realize that both of us carry our own burdens, our own storms.

As we step out of the café into the clearing weather, the raindrops have transformed into glistening droplets on leaves. Christian walks beside me, and there's a subtle comfort in the shared silence. The world seems to exhale after the storm, and in that moment, I feel a tentative connection with the enigmatic man by my side.

Little do I know, Christian carries a secret storm within him, a silent tempest that he chooses to shield from the world. I sense that, perhaps, there's more to Christian's story than meets the eye.

...

I changed the whole cafe scene. I'm so happy, hehe <3

its not cringe anymore :)

Chico is <3 (the pic attached ^)