Chapter 1

The Eagle and Child, Oxford — April

Thomas looked up as Richard plonked two pints of ale on the table, splashing froth on the chipped mahogany.

"There you go, breakfast of champions."

"It's barely gone eleven, Richard. I thought we came here for brunch."

"Yeah, we did, but I'm still in holiday mode, and right now" — Richard paused a moment to look at his watch — "it is precisely four forty-three on a Friday afternoon in sunny Calcutta. Clearly, it's beer o'clock."

Thomas selected two coasters from a wooden holder and placed the beers on them. "It's called Kolkata now." Finding the napkins gone, he grimaced and used the sleeve of his cardigan to mop up the liquid from the sticky table. "You flew in yesterday, how can you be so chirpy, man?"

"I know, I know, I woke up at three thirty this morning. I'm full of beans."

The crooked-toothed grin on Richard's face was infectious, and Thomas found himself smiling back at his red-headed friend. "Cheers," he said, clinking his glass against Richard's. He took a sip of the sour, hoppy drink, and wiped his hand across his face, blinking dry, red-rimmed eyes as he yawned.

One ginger brow lifted. "Been studying hard?"

Thomas grunted. "You could say so. Father dragged me into the office over the break — 'pre-pupillage' he called it, more like a tour of duty — and Beatrice has been in and out of London, expecting me to visit her when she's there. I've been scrambling to catch up."

"You're a lucky bugger — the girl, the job ..." Richard lounged into the upholstered material of the bench, one foot tucked under a thigh, his eyes unfocused and a whimsical smile on his face.

"Mmphm." Thomas took a longer swig. "I don't know if I'm ready for any of it. I'd rather live life the way you do."

"Don't suppose your dad will let you take some sabbaticals to do pro-bono work abroad? There's tons of demand for lawyers in developing countries and with your position in society —"

Thomas gave his friend a level stare and received a cringe in return.

"Ah, like that, is it?" Shrugging, Richard continued, "Only one thing to do, then."

"And what is that?"

"Take a gap year."

Thomas' mind raced. He couldn't, could he? Other people did — people without responsibilities. He'd only a few months left before he sat for the Bar, then a year-long pupillage at Watermain & Sons planned since the day he was born, and then ... Oh God, what then?

The door to the pub flew open, and the oxygen seemed to suck out of the room. His throat constricted. He tried to breathe, but couldn't.

"Earth to Thomas. Thomas!"