Chapter 20.2

When Nadia sat up the next morning, her head bumped the side of the tent, and she was showered in water

"Urgh!" She crawled to her knees, tangled hair falling about her face. She yanked it back and smacked her dry lips together. Her mouth was parched, and her bladder ached. Usually, she would have made a dash to the toilet already, but she could feel the whisper of icy air creeping under the entrance and shuddered.

"Wake up!" This time she flinched at the sound of the shrill voice."Despertarse!"

Oh, for fuck's sake, she thought. Why not just use a bloody airhorn and get it over and done with?

Between the cries, she caught the sounds of a camp in motion: pots and pans clanging, the thud of feet and Spanish conversation. The sun wasn't quite up yet, but there was enough grey light from the approaching dawn for her to see Thomas' empty bed. Just like him. He was probably behaving like the perfect gentleman and helping.

Against her will, she grinned and muttered, "Weirdo," under her breath.

"Uh-hem, I beg your pardon?"

The top of Thomas' neatly brushed head popped through the entrance, followed by two mugs of steaming coffee.

"Did I hear correctly, or did you just call me a weirdo?" His head tilted to the side, and the right side of his mouth lifted in a lopsided smile.

Bugger. Nadia decided to say nothing, hoping he would drop it. Shivering, she pulled out her jacket, tugged it on, and reached for her brush.

"Uh-hem."

She froze mid-action as he raised an eyebrow and one of the cups in perfect synchronisation.

She blushed. "Sorry!" If he wanted to act the gentleman — when he wasn't shoving his tongue down her throat, that was — the least she could do was show her gratitude.

Their fingertips touched and static electricity snapped between them. Somehow, she managed to wrap her fingers around the mug, holding on for grim life and focused her attention on the aroma of fresh black coffee.

"Thank you."

Thomas moved into the tent, pulled the flaps closed, and brushed the hair out of her eyes. "This weirdo is at your service." He bent over and pecked her cheek.

Her face reddened further. Nadia opened her mouth, intending to say sorry, but instead found herself saying, "What the hell are you doing up?"

Thomas chuckled, rolling the chipped metal mug between the flats of his palms. "Unfortunately for me, I am a light sleeper and you ..." He paused, the corners of his eyes crinkling. "You snore like a —"

A new downpour fell about them as Nadia's head hit the ceiling. "I do not!"

"Oh really?" His smile broadened, teeth shining white in the dim light, and his body shook. "Actually —"