Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

Marla frowned. "Don't think like that." I just nodded in return. "Open mine next," she said, handing me a present with a grin.

I did as she asked and grinned widely once I unwrapped it. "A new pair of headphones."

She nodded and hugged her knees. "Gavin told me yours were old and wearing out. Plus, I thought you could use them on the road trip when the boys start to get on your nerves."

I laughed at that, but the boys all replied with an offensive "hey."

My next gift was smaller, but not as small as the gift I was leaving for last. After unwrapping it, I discovered a bottle of pepper spray. "I thought it'd be useful," Holden mentioned with a shrug.

I chuckled and nodded, setting it aside. "You aren't wrong."

That must mean that I had left Kason's gift for last. Looking up at him, a small grin stretched his lips and he motioned for me to open it. "Go on."

The small present was in the shape of a square, probably around three inches in width and length. Taking my time in unwrapping the red bow on the black box, I then took off the lid and almost started crying in awe. It was a necklace. Looped on a thin and dainty silver chain, was a small, wooden heart that was just under an inch in width and length. I looked up at Kason in admiration. "You carved this didn't you?" I asked, remembering of him one telling me that he enjoyed carving wood.

He nodded, suddenly looking a little nervous now that I was observing the gift closely. "Yeah, I did," he answered. "With everything going on, I never got the chance to show you any of my work, so I thought this was a good idea."

My smile widened. "I love it," I admitted, hugging him tightly.

I felt his warm breath on my neck as he sighed in relief. Leaning back for a moment, I kissed him on the lips, not caring that we were being watched by my brother and our friends. A whistle filled the air, making me pull away from him. Kason shoved the culprit, Holden, playfully, making the rest of us laugh.

Kason then helped me clasp the necklace around my neck and the wooden charm rested a few inches below my collarbones. I pecked him on the cheek. "I'm never taking this off," I told him.

He grinned, amused. "Good."

I told everyone that I was thankful for what they had gotten me, and once again reminded them that their gifts weren't necessary. "Your turn," I said, turning toward my brother.

He happily accepted a gift that Marla handed to him. After unwrapping it, he held up a new pair of boxing gloves. "These are so cool."

"The bag is in the Jeep," Kason told him. "You can help me bring it in later. I thought we could hang it up over the deck, or we possibly build something to hang it on."

Gavin nodded, looking satisfied and tried on the gloves, which seemed to fit him perfectly. "Thanks, man."

"No problem."

Next, he opened a key chain that said, "Stay safe. I need you with me" from Marla. After he read out what was engraved on it, Aria and I awed out loud, making Holden and Kason chuckle. "I love it, Babe," he told her, kissing her on the temple. In return she just smiled softly at him, suddenly looking shy.

Holden and Aria had gone together and got him a video game consul. It was one of the older generations of the new expensive ones and came with a couple of games. "We figured that you would need something to keep you entertained while you are here."