Chapter Twenty-One

Once we reached the car, he opened the passenger door for me and closed it after I climbed inside. He walked around the car and climbed in himself, then quickly started the engine and drove out of the bad side of town. I remained silent the whole time, just focusing on where I was in that moment. "What do you think it was?" I asked after a while, realizing that he wanted to talk, but didn't know what to say.

He shrugged, glancing at me. "Probably a gang fight or something similar. There's always something like that happening back there." I nodded and stared out the window. "Lydia, you were in a daze the whole time. I know you were scared, but you flinched every time you heard a gunshot. Has something happened before?" he asked. "Have you been in a similar position?"

I sighed. "Something like that."

"I see you flinch at every sudden loud noise." My eyes darted to him as I realized just how much he paid attention to me. "What happened in your past?"

Shaking my head, I looked out the window, his question not surprising me. "I don't want to talk about it, Kason."

Fortunately, all he did was nod in response. "I understand. But if you ever want to talk about it—anytime, anywhere—I'll listen to every word you have to say," he assured me.

I bobbed my head. "Thank you. Thank you for understanding and not forcing me to talk about it."

He nodded in return, but looked disappointed that I decided against telling him. After all, he had been working hard to let me know that I could trust him, yet another chance passed by when I ended up running from the opportunity. I felt bad, I honestly did, but I was scared. For that reason, the rest of the drive was in complete silence, other than the rush of the road noise and the faint beat on the radio turned low.

Once we arrived at the house, it was obvious it was a high school party. There were empty red cups thrown all over the front lawn and loud bumping music blasting through the whole neighborhood. Usually, I was up for a fun party, but this one seemed to be heading for a downfall. Teenagers were stumbling out of the house, looking like they were one more sip from blacking out.

Kason and I stepped out of his car, and hesitantly, he gripped my hand and led me into the busy house. We looked through the dancing crowds for Aria and Marla, but it was hard to tell one face from another with the neon lights skyrocketing randomly throughout the dim room. "I don't see them!" I called to him loudly over the music, once we searched the whole house with no luck.

At that exact moment, a girl crashed into Kason. Her contact with him was obviously intentional, although the way she stumbled and collapsed into his chest was not. The sweaty redhead giggled it off. Aria looked good, but bad. She looked absolutely stunning, but she was obviously extremely drunk and looking dehydrated. "Kason!"

Kason grabbed onto her tightly, holding her upright in front of him. "One down, one more to go," he grinned at me, making me mimic his expression.

"We should hang out sometime soon, Kason," Aria spoke, gazing up at him. "I miss having alone time with you." She grinned in drunk attraction at him.

"Aria you're drunk," I told her, but she ignored me completely, giving Kason her full attention.

"Kasoooon..." she trailed on. Rolling his eyes at our friend, Kason held her shoulders and started leading her toward the front door. I followed close behind. "I don't know why I wasted my time with Holden. You've been here for me all along." She tried to turn and wrap her arms around his torso, but he pushed her on toward the exit.

"Aria..." Kason said stopping at the door. He held her at an arm's length.

She grinned goofily and closed her eyes. "I love you, Kason."