Chapter Two

On 6/12/18 I changed the lengths of all the chapters to be more effective in interest and reading. If you are unsure where you left off, message me where you were in the storyline and I will let you know where to start back off at. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

***

I pulled the last blanket out of the cardboard box and folded it over the couch. Jaxon walked into the room with a newspaper and pen in hand, and sat down on the couch, placing the paper on the wooden coffee table. "What are you doing?" I asked him, folding up the empty box.

"Looking for a job," he said, staring at the paper articles.

"You might be more successful if you go talk to people around town," I told him, grabbing another sealed box out of the corner.

Nodding, he folded up the paper and tossed the pen on the table. He stood up and grabbed his jacket off the hook on the wall before making his way toward the front door. "I'll be back later!" he called over his shoulder before rushing out and slamming the door behind him.

"You could have at least helped me unpack first!" I yelled at the door. His loud laugh sounded on the other side of the door before I saw him run to the car parked in the driveway through the window.

While my brother was gone, I spent hours unpacking boxes and putting items away. The move here was abrupt and unplanned so we didn't have a lot to put away. Once all of the cardboard boxes were empty, I proceeded to follow my brother's actions and look for a job. Back in Florida, I made money by babysitting and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind doing it again. After collecting my laptop from my bedroom, I went to an advertising website. I wrote a post asking if anyone needed a babysitter, making sure to include my years of experience and my email.

As I posted, my cell phone received a text message. It was Aria asking me to go to her house early. I closed my laptop and called her instead of texting back.

"Are you going to come over early?" she asked immediately.

I smiled at her abruptness. "My brother is out in town and we only have one car. I'll have to wait until he comes back."

"Don't worry about it, I'll come pick you up. Just text me your address," she said.

Sighing, I knew she wouldn't let me refuse. "Okay. Bye." I hung up and texted her my address. I then texted my brother and told him my plans, making him call me a minute later.

"Why are you going to Aria's early?" he asked.

"She wants me to," I told him.

His laugh filled my ear. "You didn't even want to go to her house in the first place."

"I know, but for some reason, she's hard to say no to," I chuckled.

"Just be careful," he said. "No slip-ups."

I nodded. "No slip-ups."

#

Aria pulled into her driveway and my mouth dropped. I should have expected her to have a large house when she pulled up in my driveway in a Volvo, but I would've been left speechless either way. Her house was huge and beautiful in every way. The two-story building was built from gorgeous stone and the front entrance was propped up with four large pillars. "Your house is amazing," I told her and grabbed my overnight bag as we climbed out of her car. Seeing her house made me feel embarrassed of my own. The only thing Jaxon and I could afford was a really old and really small house. Our house consisted of two really small bedrooms, a small bathroom, a living room and a kitchen. We had the worst looking house on our street. Although, it wasn't any better looking than our old house in Florida. It had been just as small and just as run down.