Chapter Twenty-Five

Once we headed back on the road, Kason and I talked again for a little while, but after a little bit, I fell asleep to the soft tune of the radio.

A slam filled the air as my dad slammed the refrigerator door closed. "You let me run out of beer!" he shouted at me. It was my job to keep a stock of beer in the fridge.

"You don't need anymore," I told him. "You turn into a monster every time you drink."

He glared at me, his hazel eyes looking dark and dangerous. He was a tall man. Although not the strongest, he could still take me down with one swing if he wanted to. "Go buy me some," he demanded, his voice hard and threatening.

I shook my head. "I don't have any money to go get you some. You stole the last bit of money I had saved for your stupid gambling problem." I noticed my mom and brother had walked into the room. They were standing by the door, watching the scene go down.

"Well, whose fault is that?" he asked, stepping closer. He was only three feet away now. "You are sixteen. Go get a job."

I gritted my teeth. "You go get a job. You are supposed to be taking care of this family, not wasting all our money on beer and gambles. Take responsibility for this family you created and start caring for us."

He slammed his fist down on the kitchen table beside us, making me jump. "Don't tell me what to do! You aren't the boss around here!" he roared.

"Delilah, stop, just go get him some beer," my brother called from across the room. "I have a twenty you can buy it with." I glanced at him and saw him silently pleading me to listen to him. He knew our dad was getting too angry.

I took a step toward my father, standing up to him face-to-face. "If you wanted that disgusting beer bad enough, you'd go get it yourself," I spoke bitterly.

Then, a sharp pain seared through my cheek and my head was thrown to the side. He had slapped me. I touched my cheek that was probably searing red.

"Charles," my mother gasped.

Sure, my dad had yelled at us while angry and drunk, he had screamed at us until his voice went raw, he had kicked us out of the house just so he wouldn't have to look at us, but he had never touched us. I guess that now changed. Tears were stinging my eyes from how hard he had slapped me. I didn't let them fall, though. I wasn't about to show him that I was weak.

"The brat deserved it," Charles growled in response. His dark eyes didn't leave mine. I returned his stare. "Now go get me some beer."

I was struggling to keep my calm. "No."

His hands impacted with my shoulders as he shoved me to the ground. I fell back, but caught myself with my hands before my head collided with the wooden floor. He towered over me. I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could say a few things he was probably going to make me regret, Gavin jumped between us and pulled me to my feet.

"What are you doing, boy?" my father growled.

"I'm taking her to the store to get you some beer," my brother told him calmly. "We are going to get you a couple packs. It will be enough to last you a few days," he assured the man in front of us.

Our father stared at his. I watched his chest rise and fall as he took deep breaths. "Fine. Just get her out of my sight." Gavin didn't hesitate to pull me toward the front door, then out of the house.

"Lydia."

I opened my eyes to see Kason staring at me. There was a hint of worry in his eyes. "What?" I croaked, rubbing my eyes and breathing deeply, relieved to be out of that dream.