Chapter Fifty-Four

Kason intertwined his fingers with my own and held my hand tightly as we both fought off our incoming emotions. "We have to have time to pack up everything," Kason told him.

His father shook his head. "They have time pack a bag for the next couple of nights," he told him. "The rest of the stuff will be moved within the next few days."

My heart sunk in my chest as I realized that I actually had to leave all of my friends behind. When would I see them again? Would I ever see them again? Would I even live to have that opportunity?"

"Come on," Daniel said, backing out of the doorway. "We need to leave as soon as possible, and we still have to go to the hospital and get an MRI for your head." Kason and I followed him out into the hallway, hand in hand. "Fortunately, I called ahead with a special request and you'll get it done as soon as we get there. The quicker we can be in and out is better."

"It's already getting late," Kason told him.

"It doesn't matter," his father replied. "The night is the best cloak we could have for the long drive."

Neither of us replied as we followed the Sheriff to the front of the station where we met up with Gavin and our friends. All four of them were sitting down, looking worried and stressed. As soon as Kason and I appeared into view, their tense shoulders relaxed and their bouncing feet stilled. All of them stood and took turns hugging me. "I told you not to go alone," Aria immediately spoke as she pulled me into her arms.

I gripped her tightly in return and chuckled. "I know; I'm sorry."

After I had embraced them, they all stood in front of me as if they were waiting to hear the next step taking place in our lives. I didn't even have to tell them that this changed things. We all knew that we should've acted sooner. "We have to leave," I told them, feeling my throat tighten. Their heads dropped in sadness, but they nodded, understanding.

"You'll be out of here in two days," Holden assured us, placing a hand on Gavin's shoulder.

I shook my head and rolled my lips together. "We are leaving tonight," I clarified.

A tear slipped from Marla's eye and she turned into my brother's arms and hugged him tightly.

"Peyton, I, and two other cops will be escorting you to your house, where you will pack a bag with everything you need for the next couple of days," Daniel informed Gavin, who nodded in response. "I will get everything else moved for you in the next few days." Sighing, my brother placed a comforting hand on the back of Marla's head as she cried into his shoulder.

"Can we help them pack?" Aria asked Daniel.

He nodded. "Yes. You can say your goodbye's there."

Kason's forehead creased and his head turned toward his dad. "We can't help them move in?"

"No. The more people that move them, the more likely Charles could recognize what is happening if he's looking." No one chose to respond. "Let's go."

I turned to my brother. "Can I take the car?" He nodded and tossed me the keys, which I caught easily.

"I'll ride with Daniel," he told me.

"I will, too," Marla sniffled, keeping a tight grip on Gavin's arm.

We all walked out of the station and into the parking lot, where we separated into our different cars. "Will you drive?" I asked Kason. He nodded and I handed him the keys before climbing into the passenger's seat of my old, pale blue car.

Pulling out of the parking lot, we followed Daniel and Peyton who were leading us with Gavin and Marla in the back of their police car. Holden and Aria followed us in the Jeep, and another police car trailed behind them.