Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I shook my head. "You guys shouldn't have," I said immediately. "We couldn't get you anything."

They all shrugged. "We wanted to," Aria spoke next.

"Yeah," Marla added in. "You guys deserve to have a Christmas."

Just then, a burning smell filled my nostrils and my gaze darted toward the kitchen stove "The bacon and eggs!" I realized, rushing over to turn off the gas stove. The food was too far gone for saving so I ended up just tossing the meal in the trash. "Well there goes breakfast," I said glumly, setting the hot metal pans in the sink to cool down.

"Eh, we ate on our way over here anyway," Aria said, waving it off.

I rolled my eyes "Well we are still hungry," I reply, gesturing to me and Gavin. I looked at my brother and shrugged. "Looks like we are eating cereal."

"No need," Kason jumped in, walking up behind me and placing a hand on my back. "I'll remake breakfast. You guys can start opening presents."

I shook my head immediately. "I don't want to without you."

A smile stretched his cheeks. "Then go turn on a Christmas movie or go out on the beach. Your food will be done soon." After quickly kissing me on the cheek, he made his way into the kitchen, where he began cooking for Gavin and me. I was so thankful for him.

We decided to turn on a Christmas movie while we waited for the food. Per Gavin's request, we started watching "Elf." I didn't bother objecting since it was one of my favorite Christmas movies. Within the next hour, Gavin and I had eaten the amazing breakfast Kason had made for us and I had changed out of my pajamas and into a pair of distressed, high-waisted jeans and a navy-blue crop top. Now we were all gathering in a circle on the floor, making ourselves comfortable as we prepared to hand out gifts.

"Present time!" Aria cheered, grabbing a wrapped box and tossed it in my direction excitedly.

Sighing, I waited as the presents were handed out. They had only gotten things for us and not each other. Either they had already exchanged their presents, or they had only bought presents for me and Gavin. After they were all handed out, Gavin and I had a stack of four presents each. "Should we go at the same time?" I asked my brother.

He shook his head and slipped me a small smile. "You first."

I nodded and grabbed the present closest to me that was wrapped in dark green paper. I pulled off the white bow and ripped it open. It was a new pair of "Nike" running shoes. "I love them!" They were light grey with white laces and detailing.

Aria smiled, looking satisfied with my reaction. "There's a note inside, too."

After picking both shoes out of the box, I spotted the note she was talking about and read it. "We are all taking a road trip right after graduation. Hopefully, you will get some use out of these. –Aria."

I looked up at her and furrowed my eyebrows, but not able to disguise the smile on my face. "What?"

"My parents are funding a road trip for all six of us after graduation. It's my graduation present."

I practically squealed in excitement. "Where to?"

She shrugged. "I don't know yet. I just thought it would be really fun."

I nodded agreeing. "I'm so excited." Then my heart dropped, and I sighed. "That is if we make it that long." Kason placed a hand on my knee but didn't say a word.