𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐲

"Do you feel that?" Evelyn whispered to her daughter as her hands were placed upon her stomach

"Is that my sister in there?" Rosies eyebrows drew together as she looked at her mother's stomach.

Evelyn couldn't help the smile that appeared as her daughter asked the question. "Of course it is. She's excited to see you."

"How do you know?" Rosie smiled, her eyes lighting up.

"Shes been living with me for three months, I know everything." Evelyn tapped her nose.

"Now come on, Auntie Ada's coming over soon and she wants you to tell her all about our trip to the fair."

Bitterly cold and humid - such an enchanting combination. As Evelyn gazed out of the window she noted every surface, every blade of grass and twig was growing as long ice crystals ten or more millimetres in length. They were little forests of ice, she thought to herself, pure white trees growing without roots.

"She's asleep now." Ada huffed as she trudged down the stairs.

"She's a rascal, isn't she?"

"And I'll bet the other one is going to be just as bad." Turning her gaze Ada looked across at her friend who was placed on the windowsill.

The rain floated in gentle waves, as if gravity was a soft music from the Earth, a sweet beckoning serenade. Each drop bequeathed itself unto the cooling air - wet lifeboats in a dry sea. Together they painted a new picture around a glowing streetlamp.

"Most likely."

Ada hesitated before speaking "Have you heard anything?"

Evelyn lifted her head off the windowpane, a spark of a rare emotion igniting within, "Not this again Ada for god sake!"

"I'm only asking Evelyn..." She trailed off slightly annoyed at the young mother.

"And I'm only telling you... Don't bring it up again, alright?"

Silence swallowed the tention in the room.

"Please...Just please." Evie whispered as her bottem lip trembled

Her fingers became knotted within her hair as she pulled at the roots, "I don't want to think about what he might be..."

"Mummy?" Rosies voice inturupted her.

Wiping the tears that stained her rosie cheeks she turned to her daughter, "Yes, what is it darling?"

"Can you tuck me in?" The young girl asked batting her lashes.

Evie and Ada frowned alike, "Another nightmare?"

The young girl nodded. Her nightmare was always the same. Paralysed, cold.

"Cmon let's go."

As soon as Rosie was buried deep within the cotton sheets she turned to her mother.

"Listen, you know I'm right downstairs, don't you? I would never let anyone hurt you sweetheart, and neither would Ada and neither would Pol." She smiled softly.

"And Isaiah too?" She perked.

"Of course, love."

"I like it when he stays over, " The phrase caused Evie to blush, "but..."

"But what darling?" Evelyn urged on.

"When's daddy coming home?"

But unfortunately it was a question Evelyn couldn't answer.