𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐨𝐮𝐬

The chimes of the old grandfather clock sounded through the home on Watery Lane breaking the deafening silence

"I just need to know that it's possible for two people to stay happy together..." Evelyn sighed heavily from her place at Polly's kitchen table.

She decided that it would be best to spend her last remaining hours in Small Heath with the only other person who understood her pain. Elizabeth Gray. However, she first ensured her son wasn't present when she arrived at Polly's home.

"I still love him. But I don't want to love him anymore. I don't want to hurt anymore." She mumbled, staring at the wall in front of her. Not moving her gaze.

"Don't worry, he'll miss you. You're the best he could get, and he blew it. Don't let him make you think for one second that this was your fault. It's not. He screwed up, and you did absolutely nothing wrong."

Evelyn looked at the older woman with a small smile and a look of admiration.

"What would I do without you Pol?"

"Find someone else to torture with your problems. Now let's go, we need to get you to the train before it leaves, I want to send you off."

4 ᴡᴇᴇᴋꜱ ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ

The yellow shining sun started rising from the ground. It filled the sky with vivid colours of red and splashed the clouds with endless rays of pink. It was bright and mesmerising and quite inviting to stare at, deep into the horizon. Evelyn sat enjoying the tranquillity of the scene. However, her worried thoughts still plagued her mind.

"Is it always this hard?"

"Listen darling, you did what you were suppose to, you stayed loyal and stuck by him even through the worst times before you two fell in love. You gave him your best...your all...and maybe that right there should be your closure."

"But what am I going to do about James?"

"Do you love him?" Mrs Allen questioned sitting beside Evelyn on the small front steps.

"I thought I did, but not like I love Michael. Loved Michael."

"Well dear, I think you know what you have to do" Her mother replied as she grabbed her left hand, rubbing her thumb over the diamond on her finger.

So she set off on her old bicycle and made her way towards her fiancés house. Passing the bakery on Copper Street and the market on Baker Street she eventually came to James' house.

Gazing up at the large red-brick house Evelyn began to feel trembles in her fingertips that worked up her arms and spread all over her body.

"James?" She asked as she stepped into the study.

"Yes Evelyn?"

'Ripping of a band-aid...Ripping of a band-aid.' she continued to chant in her mind.

'Quick and painless.'

"I think we should call off the wedding." She rushed out quickly, keeping her eyes focused on the ground.

James' movements stopped and he seized the pen in his grasp.

"Is this about Michael?"

She never answered. She couldn't answer.

He stood up in a fit of rage Evelyn had never seen.

"For God sake let go of him you stupid girl! He let go of you the minute he walked away. How long will it take you to realise that?"

Evelyn was in shock. James was never one to get angry, frustrated yes. Usually at Evelyn. But never angry.

"He doesn't care!" He continued his rage, "Do you think he talks about you and how bad he misses you. He doesn't think about you whiles he's off fucking some whore. Sweetheart, he doesn't care about you, and you chasing him, only makes his ego bigger and your pride smaller, so just let him go!" His voice began to increase.

"I can't." She whispered, shaking her head as a lone tear trickled down her cheek

"I can't. I can't." She began quietly muttering.

"WHY NOT?" He slammed his fist on the desk.

"BECAUSE IM CARRYING HIS CHILD!" She broke free from her emotional state...

and a deathly silence followed after her words.