𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐢𝐝𝐲

The fire crackled as Evelyn gazed at it numbly

The fire crackled as Evelyn gazed at it numbly. She watched as thick clouds of grey smoke billowed up the chimney, while the sparks of red and orange remained flickering. She felt nothing but anger, however the anger was nothing but a shield for the pain.

"How could you?" Her voice filled with nothing but rage as Michael entered the room.

When he turned at last to see the side of her face  there were no traces of tears, not in her eyes or in track marks on her reddening face. Her eyes were narrowed, rigid, cold, hard. In that moment he knew he was already far away.

"What?"

"You fucked her didn't you?"

"Who?"

"Just tell me the truth."

"Wh-"

She stood and turned from her place at the raging fire. "THE WHORE FROM LONDON!" She finally screamed. Her calming nature was destroyed in an instant. Instead her eyes were crazed and hair wild. Her deep gasps from screaming were the only thing heard in the silence.

Michaels face seemed to pale. All he could hear was his heartbeat. Everything else was a haze, as if underwater.

"Is that what your doing? Trying to make me hate you more than humanly possible Michael!"

"Listen it wasn't like that..." He trailed off but he was quickly interrupted.

"I am holding on for dear life Michael but I need you to need me back. Why won't you just let me all the way in?" She cried

"BECAUSE I CANT! Because the minute I admit that I'm in love with you, you'll be in danger, your life will be in my hands and if you got hurt or so help me,  died..." He hesitated " I wouldn't be able to live with myself. So believe me its much easier to fuck someone else and try to convince myself that I don't love you than watching you die."

"I understand Michael, alright!  I do. If you died...I don't think I could survive the pain in my heart. But if you were truly in love with me you would fight for me, alright? You wouldn't care about the risks. But you won't, and that just means I love you more than you love me." She walked slowly and carefully towards him.

"I'm always the one who loves more, that's my thing." She released a breathy laugh trying to hold back the tears.

"I tired so hard. You know that, yeah? I tried harder than you could ever imagine" she whispered

"There just comes a point where it all becomes to much. When we get too tired to fight anymore. So we give up. So I want you to promise me, tell me that you'll never think of me again. Tell me that you'll forget about me, tell me that you are going to go on and live a full and happy life without me." She stated her bottom lip quivering

"I won't"

"You must" she replied cutting in to speak as soon as he finished talking, as if trying to hurry so the pain would be over sooner.

"You know I'm in love you" he said holding her as close as humanly possible relishing the feeling. A feeling he would never feel again.

"And I'm in love with you. Who knows..." She began while giving a small smile as she fiddled with the collar of his jacket, "someday we might meet in our futures and we'll fall in love all over again and maybe, just maybe we could stay together."

And with that she leaned up and placed a kiss on the corner of his mouth. At this stage they were both a mess. Hands shaking. Eyes red. Salty tears coating their lips.

"I love you"

And she left. She left behind Henry - her first love. She left behind Michael - a man she grew to love. And she left behind her heart - as it belonged to no one but Michael Gray.

She didn't care who heard. She broke down. The sobs punched through, ripping through her muscles, bones, and guts. She pressed her forehead against the bedroom door, then turned her body and slowly lowered herself towards the ground. Holding her chest as if to stop the pain of her aching heart.