𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐲

Stars lighted the sky like snow-flakes in the night, yet appeared still, like an old photograph

Stars lighted the sky like snow-flakes in the night, yet appeared still, like an old photograph. It was the promise of life in the darkness, a sense of warmth springing from the cold. It was a vastness to bring humbleness and an eternal space to bring gratitude for the coziness of home. No matter the years that passed, Evie saw each night sky as a fresh gift given anew. It was the moment Michael knew he would see her eyes smile and her breathing deepen just a little.

"I have to confess, I am...insatiable, for you're love. There are urges in my body that are just full of you. Cravings that posses every letter of your name, and such desires see to have no end." He mumbled.

"How long did it take you to thing of that line?" She giggled.

"Couple of minutes. You're an old soul that believes in chivalry, romance and love, I have to keep you happy." He smirked at her while playing with the fine pieces of caramel waves.

"And you don't believe in these things?" She asked raising her head off his chest.

"Of course I do, that's why we're so perfect together." He smiled lovingly, watching as the shining of the marbles in the sky reflected in her eyes.

The young couple were lying amongst the grass of the forrest sheltered by the oak trees surrounding them. It was the one moment of tranquility they had gotten between the two of them since the began travelling with Mr Gold. Rosie was asleep, lying peacefully in a bundle of blankets so Evelyn and Michael had ventured to the trees.

"Are you happy Michael?" She whispered, the echoing sounds of creatures flooded her ears.

"What?" He whispered, tracing his feather-light touches up and down her arms in a soothing manner.

"If you weren't happy I would let you leave, you know that right? I don't want to keep you trapped, forcing yourself to stay thinking you have to for me and Rosie."

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere. I won't be leaving. I won't give up on you and Rosie. And I will be here every single time you need me. You can doubt it. Alright, you can try to push me away because you think I'll just leave anyway but that will never be true. I don't care if there are a hundred million reasons to leave... You and Rosie are the only reasons I'll ever need to stay."

A smile eternally stained upon her lips.

"I love you." She spoke in a hushed tone.

"And I love you." He smiled, the corners of his mouth uplifting.

The grass around the couple was damp rather than wet and the fall leaves still had a crunch to them. As Michael kissed her she pulled away to see his face, the leaves above and the sky almost midnight blue, the moon a milky crescent. Their breaths rose in visible puffs and though there was a soft wind they were warm with one another as the kisses intensified. As the moon illuminated their figures their fingers caressed each other's skin as if afraid a heavier touch would break the heady feeling. They became one, one mind with one goal and purpose, each utterly drunk with love for the other.

Tomorrow the memory of the previous night would be what got Michael and Evie through their days, and in their old age it would be the reason behind their grins.

When the morning came the coolness was deceptive; the sun had barely risen and Michael was speaking with Polly. Evelyn held Rosie close sharing the warmth they held with one another.

Suddenly, Michael appeared after ending his conversation with his mother, a somber look rested upon his delicate features.

"Michael?" Evelyn asked wearily, almost afraid to speak to her love. "Michael, whats wrong?"

Refusing to meet her gaze he lowered his head. A moment of silence passed. Then another. Then another. Then another.

"Arthur's dead." he mumbled, finally lifting his gaze.

"Arthur's dead."