𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

WHEN EVELYN ENTERED THE BAR she immediately became the focus of attention of the majority of young men inside, as well as some of the females

WHEN EVELYN ENTERED THE BAR she immediately became the focus of attention of the majority of young men inside, as well as some of the females. Nevertheless, she remained unfazed as a girl as modest as herself did not notice the attention and awkwardly sat down at a table on her own, isolated from all the other ladies and gentlemen in the pub that evening. She was confused on what to order as a young lady from the village had never been to such a place before. However, the atmosphere in the pub suddenly became tense, only for a moment and as that moment passed it became less threatening. Looking up she gazed at Henry, he also had a friend with him who was enjoying gazing at the...female company...of that evening.

Suddenly a man, not old enough to be classified as 'old', yet still older than the boys, whistled drawing the attention of a few of the guests in the pub.

"I don't drink with blacks." He said looking Henry's friend up and down, and Evelyn knew that he was just trying a find a pitiful yet cruel excuse not to drink in the same pub as the young boy.

But before anything could happen Henry had already stepped in. "It's alright, it's alright we'll go to one of m'cousins pubs."

Nonetheless, the man swung his fist in the face of Henry's friend. Suddenly anxious, Evelyn stood and moved to the back of the pub trying to be discreet and not get mixed up with the physical fight for respect and pride.

"The white kids a Peaky Blinder, he's Polly Shelby's son are you fucking suicidal?" The bartender cried. A look of confusion crossed Evelyns face as she then realised what type of family Henry really came from.

Ignoring the mutters of apologies from the overcritical men she remained her focus solely on Henry.

"We ordered some drinks and we are going to drink them." Looking at him now she realised how much he had changed, how her Henry had changed and she wondered if her innocent heart was capable of taking in the change that was now named Michael Gray.

"Evie?"