𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐟𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐫

Many payed attention to her beauty as Evelyn entered the room

Many payed attention to her beauty as Evelyn entered the room. The clicking of her heels added rhythm to the soft classical music that played onward without pause. Her eyes scanned the room with determination in search of someone, so when her eyes met Polly Gray's, she smiled. So beautiful it was like the stars themselves, decided to rest behind the soft cushion of her lips.

However there was still a shyness to her, hesitation in her body movements and a softness in her voice as she spoke alerting Polly nothing had changed over the past two years.

"My God, you look like a Hollywood star." Mrs Gray sighed as she took in the sight of the young Allen girl.

"O Pol stop it, look at yourself!"

"Love, your making me blush" Polly replied slightly enjoying the admiration she was recieving from the young girl.

"Is he here?" Evie questioned as she kept her eyes slightly cast towards the ground.

"Of course he is. Listen..." Polly began as she started fixing Evelyns hair and dress. "You don't find your worth in a man. You find your worth within yourself and then find a man who's worthy of you. Remember that. Now let me see it."

Evelyn reluctantly lifted her left hand to allow Polly to see the diamond ring that glistened against the lights of the large hall.

"Holy fuck.." Pol murmured as she gazed at the ring, "is he a bloody actor?"

"No but his father owned some big company, passed away year before last."

"That explains it then."

"Please take your seats dinner is about to be served!" Cried a defining voice.

As Evelyn and Polly began to settle at the table she turned to the older lady and questioned where her son was. Polly quickly gazed around before sighing heavily and shrugging her shoulders.

"Right, I'm not one for speeches..." Arthur announced as he began to tackle his speech, nerves apparent through his body language, as well as Tommy's.

John then decided to make himself known by yelling "sing then!" While he smoked his cigarette allowing sweet smoke to curl through air and billow in dense clouds throughout the room. Tendrils of it swirled up into the lungs of the guests as they breathed in deeply.

"I will later, John" Arthur replied, giving a subtle nod to John in return. "But...uh, I do have some words written down here." He recommenced, while he fidgeted, searching for a piece of paper that was stashed in the pocket of his jacket. "This doesn't include everything I want to say...."

Evelyn watched as Tommy's patience started to decrease and she could see him clearly becoming unsettled.

"...her name's Grace, like the grace of the good Lord." At this Evelyn was confused as she didn't recall Arthur being at all religious when she first arrived at Small Heath, but then again it was probably the influence of his new wife Linda - who Polly had plenty to say about.

As Linda began to soothe his arm while looking at him with admiration, she couldn't find a fault. However, she hadn't actually spoken to the woman yet.

Evie focused her attention back on Thomas as he announced "To marriage" and her heart broke as she watched Arthur's face fall, disappointment radiating off of him.