Chapter Two: The End is Here

Začít od začátku

The city was built around the palace. The building was tall and imposing, with two large Gemma Crystals supporting the structure. At night, it sparkled like a million stars across the night sky. A reflection of the world above that humans had barely discovered. Maybe if they did, they wouldn't have been so easily conquered. Maybe they would've seen it coming. Maybe they would have stood a chance.

Maybe.

The further he walked, the more uptight and uncomfortable Reid became. He sighed in relief when the large glass projection of the pharmacy appeared around the corner, small and unimposing. He slipped inside after scanning his vylink at the entrance. Only patients or approved receivers were allowed inside.

The best part about this pharmacy, in particular, was that interaction with others was limited. He waited for the small glass screen of his vylink to blink the number of his assigned cubicle. In just a few seconds, his wrist vibrated and a white seven popped up on his vylink. He hurried over to the cubicle marked seven, scanning his vylink one more time at the little screen on the side before a small white bag was dispensed from an invisible slot in the wall.

He didn't even have to see the hands that prepared it for him. He didn't have to talk to anyone. He just grabbed the prescription and swiftly fled from the place. Reid chose that specific location because of its ease and availability. Plus, its obscure location ensured less traffic.

He started down the path back to the grocery store he favored. It was closer to the outskirts of the city and near the human housing complexes. Though "complex" was putting it kindly.

The buildings were in such poor condition, their foundations were at risk of crumbling at any moment. It was amazing how the Naerians depended so heavily on the humans but kept them in such terrible conditions that they might die at any given moment.

The apartment buildings were full of rusted metal ledges and cracked old bricks. They towered overhead with the threat of collapsing. So tall that if one looked long enough, it'd seem like they were swaying with the summer winds. As unpredictable as the futures of those who lived inside them.

Reid shuddered, moving quicker. Though he lived in a house, he still worried about his mother and her safety when left alone. Their house wasn't any sturdier than the other human housing complexes and it might be an overreaction, but Reid always feared that his house would collapse on them too. The thought was even more frightening if it happened while he was away.

Reid ducked around another corner so quickly, he didn't have time to register the figure heading straight for him. His mind was a chaotic mess of nerves and only settled into a frozen stillness when he slammed right into the dark-cloaked being.

He ricocheted off the hard surface of them and fell gracelessly to the hard concrete grounds covered in grime he didn't want to imagine what it consisted of. His belongings skittered away from him, stained with wet, brown sludge.

Reid's head throbbed from the force of his head slamming into the ground. He blinked away the temporary blindness the blow caused. The disorientation made him forget himself. Where he was, what happened and that he wasn't alone.

Had it been a human, they may or may not have asked if he was okay. Or even offered him a hand so he might rise and gather his scattered things. But this being did no such thing.

The first indicator was his boots. Reid assumed the figure was a male from his massive frame and flatter front. It was confirmed by the large silver-plated boots that adorned their feet. It was shiny, even with splatters of grossness dirtying the surface. They were expensive. Something a human could never afford.

The rest of the form was covered in a heavy dark gray cloak of fine material. Something that would be too expensive for a human as well. It was also summertime and a human would be sweltering underneath it.