The Lost Ones - Chpt 17

------ A few months later ------

*Y/N's POV*

It has been a few months after Eliza told me she loved me. Since then, there was nothing notable that went on. The team went on missions still, I was still in command but most of the time Six told me to "take a break" or do some other thing. I am pretty sure what she told me is to "politely" fuck off. I owed her money anyways. A lot of money. What am I supposed to do?

My family. I had no news from Six about this. I knew I had no right asking her for help and I will not ask anyone else. I don't trust anyone here. Anyone. I still had to find a way to get them back.

Eliza. She has always been on my mind since that day. I never forgot it. I never wanted to forget it. It was the first time I felt ... different. I cannot describe what I felt. It is like a drug. When I have it, I feel different and euphoric but now, I feel empty and lonely. I want to march up to her and hug her, kiss her. But I can't bring myself to do so. Whenever I am with her, the sight of her breaking my trust was just nagging me in my head. I want to be with her, but I do not want to be with her. Fucking hell. Heh. Go figure.

The knocking on my door, interrupted me from my thoughts. It was Six. I stood up immediately and stood to attention.

"Ma'am"

"Captain, I want you and the team to get ready for deployment. CIA and SIS operatives have acquired intel on a meeting in Syria between wanted arms dealers and Emir Hassan As-Salam, one of the leaders of ISIS, in one of the villagers nearby Aleppo. The CIA and SIS want their hands clean in case things go south and they want us to either eliminate or capture them. I want you to bring your gear with you. Combat gear. I will have a meeting with the operators in around 15 minutes time. I will fully brief the team there." She explained.

"Yes ma'am." I replied still standing to attention.

"Good." She said, leaving the room.

As she left, I relaxed and sat down, reaching for my desk phone to call the operators to assemble in the Mess. Ending the call, I made my way there.

Everything now was a drag. I was just going through the motions of the daily routine. Leading and commanding did not have its appeal anymore. Before this I was proud to don the uniform, to clip on my rank, to salute my own men, men who respected me and I, them. But now I am leading independent people, soldiers of fortune, you might say. People who fight for fame and glory. People who do not respect the hierarchy, gossiping and cursing me behind my back. Some might say I am too tough on them but being tough and disciplined is a making of a good soldier and a better leader. If only they knew the half of it, they would understand. But it is better this way. It is better they do not know. For their sake.

As I reached the mess, I took a seat on one of the benches, ignoring the furtive glances my way, as I always have. I'm 48 years old. I'm too old for this shit. I sat down and reviewed my notes, strategizing for potential exploits, routes and logistics. Not before long, the operators trickled their way in and making themselves comfortable, some greeting me as they entered. As they settled down, Six entered on time and starting the briefing promptly.

"Okay. We received intel from CIA and SIS operatives on a meeting in Syria between wanted arms dealers and Emir Hassan As-Salam, one of the leaders of ISIS, in one of the villagers nearby Aleppo. We are tasked to eliminate or capture them. To do this, we plan to create a FOB on the Turkish border and a small outpost in Syria. This op is important, and I don't want cock-ups so all the operators will be involved in this operation. The Turkish and Syrian higher ups have approved the mission and granted us air support in case we need it, after all, it is a war zone. I cannot stress this enough. It is a war zone. We are going to be in enemy territory. Stay sharp and alert." Six briefed.

As I listened in on the briefing, I got lost in my thoughts trying to comprehend the scale and the feasibility of the operation. Multiple insertions, air support and a forward operating base? What has gotten into her? Rainbow Six is meant for small quick insertion, not a drawn-out battle, moreover a war. I cannot understand the logistics for this. We will be going deep into enemy territory. We should just have a small team of operators and reconnaissance units to conduct this raid. Not the whole organisation.

"Captain." She called.

"Yes ma'am." I replied.

"I need you to gather 7 recruits of your choice. You are going on the mission as well."

"As you say."

Fuck. This is the last thing I needed.

Who should I bring? It has been a really long time since I personally led a strike team. I still understood the fundamentals, but I am more worried about the troops I will be leading. In Rainbow, I lead the operators, the competent, experienced and elite soldiers, not the clean up crew. As the meeting ended, I dismissed myself and began to return to my office to review the personnel choices I must make.

This is going to be a long day.

~ P.S Sry for the long post, life happened.