The Lost Ones - Chpt 4

Dear Polizeihauptkommissar Y/N Wolffe,

We regretfully inform you that your service to our fatherland has been unfortunately terminated. The doctors' reports on your situation was grim, to say the least. They mentioned several injuries as well as complications in your operation and it was only by the grace of God that you survived. I am sure you understand that our men must be in the best operational condition to serve our nation.

On behalf of the entire Grenzschutzgruppe 9 division, we thank you for your service to the Vaterland and wish you the best for your future. We will never forget your great contributions.

Yours Sincerely,

Polizeirat Heinrich Model

"Fuck him, everything I've done for them. This is what I get? Thrown under the bus?!" I murmured to myself.

I started to accept the reality I was in. Alone. Useless. I started to think on what I had to do when I get out of here. I had no job. No house. No family. The military, my service to Germany, was all I knew. I sat silently staring at the letter. Seeing there was nothing I could do, I lay down and drifted off to sleep.

------Time skip 1 day ------

*IQ's POV*

"Excuse me, is this the hospital Captain Wolffe is in?" I asked a nurse at the information desk.

"I only have Polizeihauptkommissar Y/N Wolffe in our system, no Captain Wolffe." She replied, confused by the question.

"Yes, he is the one. Which ward is he in?"

"Ward 50, room 27"

"Danke schön"

I then gestured to Mike, who was sitting down on one of the chairs in the lobby. I felt it was sweet of him to accompany me here. Why does he want to accompany me though?

"So, where is he?"

"Ward 50, room 27"

"Okay"

We stood, waiting for the elevator to arrive, in silence. I wanted him to talk to me about what he was dreaming the day before, but I was too shy to do so. I mean he went through the trouble of accompanying me, I should give him space. Thankfully, the elevator arrived, and I rushed into it, oblivious to Mike's reaction to my action.

"Huh, can't wait to see the captain, Monika?" He grinned.

I blushed and shook my head. Before I could reply, he beat me to it.

"Monika, you don't need to worry, whatever happened its not your fault. There is no point of me telling you this if you don't believe that you aren't." Mike elaborated.

I remained silent as I tried to process what Mike said. Somehow, he read my mind. I know he means well but I just cannot shake the feeling that this predicament is my fault. Nonetheless, to please him, I nodded my head in agreement.

"Ich versteht, Mike. Sorry, I meant, I understand."

This brought a smile to his lips. He slung his hand over my shoulders and pulled me close, kissing the top of my short, blonde hair. I blushed, and gently pushed him away. This caused Mike to frown in disappointment, hanging his head. I grinned and kissed him gently and quickly on his cheeks, turning his disappointment into surprise.

"Thanks for accompanying me Mike. I really appreciate this." I thanked him, my hand lingering on his shoulder.

Before Mike could reply, the elevator door opened. I quickly released my grip and exited the elevator, the grin still stuck on my lips. I glanced back and saw him stepping out slowly, the surprise still apparent on his face. Slightly blushing now, I hurried to Captain Wolffe's room, Mike following closely behind.

Upon reaching his room, my smile faded. I froze. I could not bring myself to open the door. Maybe I shouldn't do this. Mike caught up to me, gently resting his palm on my shoulder.

"Hey Monika, I'm gonna go grab some coffee, want some?" Mike asked me, a smirk still plastered on his face.

I nodded my head, flashing him a smile, but there was a strain in it. Mike noticed it and did not fail to address it.

"Hey, don't be nervous, remember what I told you? Its not your fault. Don't worry, go ahead, I'll be right there."

Surprisingly, Mike's confidence in me gave me the courage I needed to do so. I knocked on the door and entered.

"Captain Wolffe?"

*Y/N's POV*

I sat up on the bed, staring out of the window. My hands still gripping onto the letter that came in the day before. My mind was still busy focusing on the contents of that letter. My attention was shifted to the beautiful blonde I was seeing, from the corner of my eye, entering my room. I loosened my grip on the letter.

"Captain Wolffe?" She said.

I gaped briefly and nodded slowly. I had never seen any woman that had been as beautiful as her. Even in the Nationale Volksarmee, as a high ranking official, I could have had any woman I wanted. But no one took my breath away like the woman standing in front of me. The woman who would visit me when no one else would, not even my closest advisors. Heh, they are all scared of me.

"Mein Name ist Monika, mein herr." Her lovely voiced filled the voice.

Monika, the beautiful woman has a name. I thought to myself.

Monika then started to approach the bed, taking the seat on the chair beside me. I didn't know what to do, but to just stare and admire her beauty.

"Ist das eine Traum?" I asked her.

Monika blushed and covered the lower half of her face with her hand. I groaned internally. Verdammt, she's blocking her smile. I want to see her smile damn it.

"Nein." She said simply, still blushing fiercely, lowering her hand a little, revealing the corners of her mouth.

I smiled warmly at her. The first real smile I had in a while. I offered my hand to her and she took it, grasping it tightly. We waited there, holding each other's hands, gazing at each other.

"Monika is a nice name. It's my pleasure to meet you. Why did you visit me Monika? I don't think I even know you. Surely if I met you, I would remember. I mean who wouldn't remember such a beautiful woman?"

She giggled a little, flashing her beautifully perfect smile.

"We did not meet, well we did but not officially, I was – " She was cut off by a knock on the door.

"Hey Monika, sorry I'm late, here's your coffee."

It was Mike. I tightened my grip on Monika's hand unconsciously. My smile turned to a snarl and I glared at him. This arschloch made me lose my job.