The Lost Ones - Chpt 3

Y/N – Your name

*Y/N's POV*

"We are losing him, we need Trauma stat!" A medic yelled.

I was being unloaded from the ambulance, pushed on a gurney to the Operating Room (OR).

"Trauma here, lets get him to an X-ray for check for shrapnel." A doctor ordered and commandeered my gurney for the X-ray.

I tried to focus on the doctor attending to me, who was telling me to stay awake, reassuring me. I tried my best, I really did, but my vision was too blurry. My eyelids started to get heavy, the light tempting me to go to it. I lost the battle and succumbed to sweet slumber.

"Hey! We're losing him! Get a crash cart! NURSE! Forget that! Get me a crash cart! NOW!" The doctor screamed.

The nurse dropped what she was doing and gaped in shock. She then recovered, rushing the nearest crash cart over to my gurney. She unpacked the cart with trembling hands, fumbling with the machine at times. The doctor urgently performed CPR on my body, while the nurse was placing tabs on the appropriate places on it.

"Clear!... No pulse, again, clear!... Scheiße one last try! Clear!" The doctor desperately trying to resuscitate me.

He tilted his head to my face, checking for breathing. There was then the only sound of a flatline from the heart monitor.

"Nein, we have nothing. *sigh* Lets pack up jedermann. He's gone." He concluded.

The doctor gripped the sides of the gurney tight, disappointed with his failure, then released it. He then grudgingly walked off leaving the nurses to take care of me.

"*Gasp* cough, cough."

Everyone froze. The doctor made a sharp turn to face me. I laid there gasping for air, tearing up in pain that was wrecking my body. The doctor turned back, mouth agape at what happened. After a second or so, he started barking orders.

"What are you standing still for! He's up! Los gehts! To the OR" The doctor, breathed a sigh of relief, pushing the gurney to the OR as fast as he could, with the assistance of the nurses.

He gently gripped my shoulders and assured me that he would do all he can to fix me. I tried to pay attention to him, but I only heard the incessant ringing in my ears. One of the nurses slipped on my head a gas mask, drifting me to sleep. And as I slept, my dreams were invaded by a nightmare.

Start of flashback

1990, Berlin, Deutsche Demokratische Republik (East Germany)

I drove up to Ministry of Defence to visit my father in a government provided car. As I pulled up into the compound, I saw multiple troop trucks blocking the entrance. It bore the symbols of the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany). Something is wrong. Shouldn't there be peaceful integration? I drove up to one of the soldiers at guarding the perimeter. Winding my windows down, I asked him.

"Good Morning. What is happening over here?"

"Good Morning sir, this is a restricted area. Can I see your credentials please?" He replied.

"No. Tell me what is happening over here." I insisted.

His facial expression changed, pulling out his side arm, pointing it at me. Verdammt, he must have noticed the insignia on my Schirmmütze. I had to hand it to the soldier. He was observant.

"Herr Oberst, place your hands on the steering wheel slowly." He ordered, his gun still trained on me.

"Achtung! Da ist ein kommunist hier, herr Feldwebel." He called out to his sergeant. "Alarm! There is a communist here, sergeant."

The sergeant came up to me and ordered me to step out of the vehicle with my identification papers. I complied, my hands on my head. The took my sidearm, asked me a couple of questions and I answered them to the best of my ability. I turned around slightly as something caught my eye. It was my father. He had Heckler & Koch G3 rifles, the standard West German service rifles, trained on his back. The soldiers were leading him to a secluded area. My eyes widened in realisation.

"Papa!" I yelled pushing the sergeant out of my way to get to him.

"Halt!" He ordered, further ordering his stunned men to disable me.

I ignored the call and rushed over to my father, nearly reaching him, but I was knocked over by 2 soldiers. My father turned briefly, talking to the officer. The officer nodded his head and ordered his men to stand down. Hurriedly pushing myself off the ground, I rushed to my father.

"I love you son. Know that everything I did for you was because I love you. We always wanted, to see you and your sister get married and to see our grandchildren. We wanted to see you happy. Don't worry your mother and sister is safe, I promise." He said, noticing the worry in my eyes.

He reached into his blazer's breast pocket and pulled out a picture of a family. Our family.

"It's my time son. I have no regrets raising you. I know you can find your way and succeed. I only ask for you to find the things you love in life and cherish them." He continued, cradling my face in his hands, tears rolling from his cheek.

I felt numb. I did not know how to react in that situation. Everything was going so fast. Before I knew it, my father straightened up and nodded to the officer. The officer acknowledged him and led him to the alley. I followed them, unwillingly because I would never want to see my father be killed in front of me but willingly because it would be the last I saw of him.

"Ready"

"Aim"

My father looked at me in the eye and nodded. I teared up immediately. I remember the times we used to spend together. The times we used to joke with one another. The times we bonded as a family. All for his love for me. Reluctantly, I nodded back.

"Fire!"

As I heard the roar of gunfire, I shivered.

End of flashback

About 12 hours after the operation

My eyes burst open, body flying up straight, gasping heavily to only see a white room and hear the beeping of monitors. Recovering from that nightmare, I patted down my body to find the silvery photograph of my family. I it was all that reminded me of my family. Thankfully it lay, along with my other belongings, undamaged on the side table. A couple of nurses and a doctor rushed into the room and eased me to calm down and lie down on the bed. Feeling the numbness wrecking my body, I complied quickly. The doctor started to tell me about the operation, but I couldn't concentrate, I didn't know why.

"Y/N? Did you hear what I said? I asked if you had any family member or spouse we could contact." The doctor brought my attention back to him.

"No."

I gazed out the window, not paying attention to anyone around me. I just did not want to speak to anyone, I just wanted to be alone. I didn't see my mother nor my sister since that day. I missed my family so much.

Meine Mutter und meine Schwester, kleines Monika.

If only I could see them again. The doctor took the hint after multiple attempts at questioning me. He just nodded his head and mentioned to "give me some space". The group stepped out of the room, closing the door gently.

Upon stepping outside, I noticed him discussing in hushed voices to 2 men, dressed in German service uniforms. The voices started to get seemingly louder and then it went quiet, with one of the men placing his hand on the doctor's shoulders, while the doctor hung his head, nodding. They then approached my room and entered.

"Polizeihauptkommissar Wolffe?" One of them asked.

I grunted a response.

"We have a letter from Polizeirat Model." The other stated, presenting me a letter, expecting me to take it.

I grudgingly took it and dismissed them. They clicked their boots in a salute and left the room. I read the letter and gaped. No. This cannot be happening, please god no.