The Lost Ones - Chpt 1

Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein 15:00 Operation "Clean House"

Monika, codename IQ, gazed at the situation in front of her. Yelling. The roaring of flame. Buzzing of radios. She walked to the side of the van and leaned on it. As she leaned and slumped to the ground, pulling her balaclava down, she gazed at the burning building and reflected on what had just happened.

Start of flashback

"Hey, IQ, you all right?" Mike, codename Thatcher, asked.

Thatcher looked at Monika expectantly, briefly tapping her back to get her attention.

"Ja, I'm fine." She replied.

However, Thatcher did not miss the slight quiver in her voice. Monika's blue eyes betrayed her emotions. He gave a small smile under his mask.

"Don't worry, Monika. We'll get through this."

Thatcher gently grasped her left shoulder. Monika gazed at him, right into his goggles of his gas mask, seemingly into his soft brown eyes.

"Danke, Thatcher, I am just nervous."

Thatcher chuckled. He couldn't help but notice how cute Monika looked when she was nervous. Her soft blue eyes were gazing into his own brown ones. It reminded him of a snow leopard, deadly, but beautiful. Both were gazing at one another, but he broke the awkward silence between them.

"Happens to everyone,"

The police captain gave him the thumbs up to start the operation. Thatcher signalled a confirmation to him and reached for his radio.

"Alright everyone, Captain Wolffe has given us the go ahead. Remember the plan? We go in first. Blitz and Ash through the front, I need you two to get their attention. Glaz, keep a lookout. IQ and I will go through the side and defuse the bomb. Captain Wolffe and his forces will clear the building after and provide support when needed. Godspeed everyone. Go on my mark."

Monika nodded her head.

"Blitz and I copy," Ash confirmed.

"да," Glaz replied.

"Mark."

Explosions, yells, gunfire and stomping of footsteps could be heard from inside the building.

IQ stood up and led the way into the unlocked door.

"Scanning for electronics... Clear, Los."

Thatcher stood puzzled.

"Monika, darling, you need to speak in English for me to understand," Thatcher requested.

Monika stopped briefly, beside the doorway, stunned by Thatcher calling her 'darling'. Monika recovered and brushed off the comment, believing that it was how Mike was. She looked back and Thatcher was still standing there expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Ja – I mean yes. I will try to verk on it. That meant let's go, so let's go."

This seemed to satisfy Thatcher. Monika signalled them forward, urging Mike to move on. They quickly cleared all electronic traps and devices, encountering almost no resistance on the way. Seemingly, Blitz and Ash was getting the terrorists' attention well. They covered good ground before her scanner picked up something abnormal. She looked to Thatcher then reached for her radio.

"Captain? I seem to have picked up the bomb. Can you confirm?"

"10-4, hold for reply." The captain replied.