The Lost Ones - Chpt 5

*Mike's POV*

"Hey Monika, sorry I'm late, here's your coffee."

Wait, why is he glaring at me? I did not do anything wrong, did I?

"You schweinhund, you and your team made me lose my job!" Captain Wolffe seethed, speaking slowly and deliberately, seemingly on the verge of uncontrollable rage.

"What the fuck did I do?"

What is he going on about? Is he mad? The heart monitor on the side of the captain's bed was beeping loudly, alerting the nurses of the predicament happening in the room. He slammed his hand on his side table, making us flinch in surprise. He then roughly grabbed a letter resting on his side table, crumpled it and threw it at me.

"Read it." He growled.

Stunned, I bent down to pick it up, hesitantly, and read it. It was in German. How was I supposed to read German?

"Monika, could you read it for me?" I asked her as gently, passing the letter to her.

Clearing her throat, Monika started reading the letter.

"Dear Polizeihauptkommissar Y/N Wolffe,

We regretfully inform you that your service to our fatherland has been unfortunately terminated. The doctors' reports on your situation was grim, to say the least. They mentioned several injuries as well as complications in your operation and it was only by the grace of God that you survived. I am sure you understand that our men must be in to operational condition to serve our nation.

On behalf of the entire Grenzschutzgruppe 9 division, we thank you for your service to the Vaterland and wish you the best for your future. We will never forget your great contributions.

Yours Sincerely,

Polizeirat Heinrich Model"

By the end of reading the letter, Monika's breathing was erratic, and her voice was quivering. It broke my heart to see her like this. I wanted to hold her close, take away her pain. But I stood still, stunned by the contents of the letter. I shifted my focus from my thoughts to the captain.

"And you think this is my fault? My team's fault? If I recall, you called for US!" I rebutted in anger, my patience thinning.

"Of course this is! Your fucking squad and that bomb! With your bullshit performance, my team could have done it better than yours!" He taunted.

"Oh yeah? You bastard, your team could not hit the broadside of a barn and you wanted them to defuse a bomb! Hah! Wake up! Your team would have made it worse!" I gloated.

The captain opened his mouth to retort, but his anger contorted to shock in sudden revelation. His glare returned and fixated on Monika, pulling his hand away from her grasp. He pointed her index finger accusingly at her. I wanted to snap it off.

"YOU! You were the so-called "bomb-expert"! My ass! I knew it was too good to be true! Behind that pretty face you are NOTHING! You caused me my pride! My service für Deutschland, gone! The countless times I solved problems for this country, gone! The humiliation I received in the Bundeswehr, all because I was in the Grenztruppen. I had my rank stripped from me. IN FRONT OF MY MEN! I dealt with it. I tried to climb my way back up, but I got thrown out. The GSG 9 gave me a chance to rebuild from nothing. And now, you took it from me. I've been in all sort of shit, but this is the last straw!" He yelled at Monika.

"You were in the GSG 9? What a joke. What were they thinking? If you were in my command you would have been eaten alive! I'm sure they just needed a pretty face to show Germany, and you got it. Bloody politics, robbing the professionalism in our men. In the Grenztruppen, none of this would have happened. They were professionals. You. Are. Nothing. Get the fuck out of my room! Both of you!" He continued.

Monika burst into tears from the outburst, standing up and ran away from the room. I tried to reach out to her, but she ignored it and left the room, in tears. I wanted to follow her and comfort her. But first I got this prick to deal with. My blood was boiling. I slowly marched up to him, fists raised, ready to beat him to a pulp. How dare he blame my team for this. We did everything right, and now he has the balls to blame my team for it? Not only that, he fucking hurt Monika. I'm gonna rip off his balls and stuff it deep down his throat. I raised my fist to strike but I was interrupted.

"Leave."

I turned to face the person who spoke. My hardened face immediately softened and a brought my hands up to a salute. It was Director Six.

"Leave" She repeated.

I wanted to argue with her, but she shut me up with her piercing glare. She pointed out the door. Disappointed, I stomped out of the door, throwing a glare the captain's way. This isn't over. I slammed the door and walked off, ignoring the glances and looks thrown my way. I must find Monika.