Prologue

April. It all began in April.

I, like almost every sensible adult, dismissed it as some sort of awful April Fool's prank. It was, in fact, awful; but this was no sick joke. This was real. The Zombies were real. But this was just the beginning.....

I remember the day I first heard of them. I was driving my van with my mother in the passenger seat. The news channel was playing over the radio, the reporter talking about a young girl who was murdered when the story was suddenly cut off and a man's voice crackled over the speakers:

"We interrupt this program to bring you breaking news," He began. "A new disease is spreading rapidly all over the world and infecting humans. Nobody is sure what it is; but we know one thing, It was stolen." He paused. "Off to you, James."

I chuckled. So dramatic, I thought, They have to get more creative with their pranks. A new voice came over the radio. "Hello, citizens of California! I'm here with Nicole Bradson, the leading researcher in Virus Studies at Baily University." The man, presumably James, said. "Would you like to tell us about this strange new epidemic?"

A panicked-sounding voice came from the woman, she was clearly not pleased. "All I can tell you is to run and seek shelter immediately. This virus was stolen from our laboratory. It was locked up for a very good reason. It is highly contagious and spreads through bodily fluids. Run from it. If it's too late to run, lock yourself somewhere safe until rescue teams can find you and escort you to safety. Do not panic."

The man with the news crew interrupted her with questions. "Run from what, exactly? What should we perceive as a threat?"

The woman paused for a moment as if thinking. "Do not attempt to approach anyone with red eyes. They are infected with the virus." Her voice trembled. "They are unstoppable. Either stay indoors or flee to somewhere secluded. Stock up on supplies if you can. Avoid anyone sporting symptoms of the virus. Symptoms include mild nausea, headaches, irritated-looking eyes, and a short temper. Sometimes sneezing is a valid reason to run. Avoid any and every person sporting any kind of bite or injury caused by contact with the infected. If a friend or a family member falls and goes into seizures, expect them to wake up with blood-red eyes and feral behavior. If you cannot escape them, they quickly resort to cannibalism."

The man with her went silent very quickly, almost as quickly as the laughter in our car stopped. Perhaps they are serious? I thought to myself.

No. They can't be serious. That sounds too much like zombies to be real, doesn't it? It does. I thought to myself, shaking my head. I will not fall for such foolery. I looked up and quickly slammed on my brakes, barely stopping in front of a man wandering in the road. My mother was furious.

She rolled down her window and stuck her head out to shout at him, "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"

His head slowly turned toward us. The first thing I noticed was his eyes. His disgusting, blood-red eyes.

"Ma, roll up the window," I said in slow horror

"What?"

"MA, ROLL UP THE WINDOW! HE'S LUNGING AT YOU!" I shouted, pressing the window up button as hard as I could as she ducked back inside.
The man - no - the thing caught her arm and bit into it before she had a chance to react. She howled in pain, and I stomped on the gas pedal, hoping to lose the thing before it could do any more damage to her fragile form. Her skin was thin from many years of smoking and sun-tanning without proper care in her youth.

I didn't have to look over to know it had broken the thin layer of protection. She hissed as the car took off - her skin tearing as a chunk was left behind in the repulsive creature's jaws.

I stared blankly ahead, shocked and trying to accept what was really happening. They had been telling the truth. It was real. This was not a prank; and if it was, they were about to be sued for more than they had by families everywhere who had someone bitten by an actor. But in my heart, I knew this was no joke.

"We're going to the hospital," I said sullenly, not about to take no for an answer.

"Ivy, I almost have the bleeding stopped already. I'll be fin-"

"You will not be fine!" I shouted. "You heard what they said over the radio. Did you see his eyes? His dead, empty eyes? He was feral; hollow. He would have devoured and turned us both into whatever he is given the chance, and you know it. I'm taking you somewhere where they can help you so that you can be fine." I was trembling as I turned the car around and headed back in its direction, the same direction as the nearest hospital. The grotesque monster turned and lurched toward us, shuffling quickly after our car once we'd passed it.

I hoped I never had to see one of those monsters again.