Chapter 15

Arista's p.o.v

"Serena, are you okay" I ask, sensing that something was wrong. However, she doesn't give me an answer as she suddenly passes out on the couch.

I place a hand on her forehead and instantly retract my hand when I realize she's burning up. 

I quickly run into the bathroom and fill the bathtub up with cold water, before attempting to lift Serena up. 

The attempt turns out to be futile, when I realize that we aren't moving.  

Realizing that I need help, I grab Serena's phone, and dial Max's number, hoping he picks up and he does so after the first ring.

"Hey Heaven-" He starts to say,but then i quickly cut him off

"Max, this is Arista, Heaven's burning up and I need help"

"Say no more, I'm coming right now" He informs me, ending the call.

Barely a few minutes pass, when there is a knock at the front door.

I walk over to the front door, and open it, revealing Max on the other side. 

"Hey, i came as quickly as I could." He states, breathing heavily. "Where's Heaven?"

"She's inside on the couch. I've prepared a bath for her in the bathroom, but I need your help to carry her in there.  Anyway,Come in quickly" I respond all in one breath, stepping aside for him to enter.

Max rushes towards Serena, and picks her up bridal style, before heading into the bathroom.
He then gently, places her into the bathtub.

"What happened to her?" Max questions, staring down at the unconscious Serena, who was now in her mermaid form. 

"She suddenly fainted, out of nowhere and her body was burning up."

Max suddenly looks at me in confusion, his brows furrowed "That's strange, she was fine when we hung out earlier."

"Sounds like Cataplexy to me" A familiar voice says, interrupting our conversation.  Max and I look back simultaneously, in the direction of the voice and see Aquarius leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom. 

"When did you get here?" I ask, raising an eyebrow in his direction.

"Just now" he shrugs, walking fully into the bathroom. "Anyway, I couldn't help but over hear your conversation, but as I previously mentioned, this seems like Cataplexy."

"No, not Cataplexy!...." Max cries dramatically.  "Wait, I don't even know what that is"

"Every time strong emotions are felt, the muscles weaken dramatically, causing a person to collapse.  It is also known to cause heat" Aquarius replies, attempting to explain the situation to Max.

Max blinks, before staring at him with raised eyebrows, "Okay, is that a mer person thing, because I'm hella confused!"

"Not exactly, it mainly happens to mermaids, but it usually only happens when a female mermaid finds their soulmate." Aquarius nodded,"Wait! That's it! She must have met her soulmate today."

"Woah...holdup....What soulmate?" Max asks, his eyes widening in slight shock at the mention of the word soulmate.

"Yeah, you know, a mer person's other half"

Max looks at him, his lips morphing into a small frown "But, we've been hanging out alone all day, I don't remember seeing this so-called soulmate.

"Well that's the only logically explanation I have based on her symptoms" Aquarius shrugs.

"Mhmm, it doesn't sound very logical to me" Max pouts, folding his arms and exiting the bathroom.

"Oh please, you're just jealous because it's not you" Aquarius retorts, rolling his eyes as he entered the living room.

Max looked at him completely flabbergasted, as if he couldn't believe that Aquarius had just said that to him. "I am not! I'm just concerned about my best friend"

"Yeah, and I totally believe you" Aquarius responds again. He then walked to the front door and pulled it open, before turning his attention back to Max,
"Anyway, I'm gonna go for a quick swim. See you guys later" he says with a quick wave, closing the door behind him.

"Can you believe he thinks I'm jealous, the nerve of that guy. I'm just looking out for my best friend" Max mumbles, under his breath. 

"I think I'm gonna go for a run." Max speaks up again, walking over to the front door. "See you later Arista. Oh- and don't forget to update me on Heaven's condition".

"Okay, see you later" I respond with a wave.

*

(Serena's POV)

I slowly open my eyes, my vision slightly blurred as I attempt to adjust to the bright light  in the room. 

After blinking a few times, my vision becomes clear and I realize that I'm in the bathroom. 

'Wait...why am I in the bathroom?....And why am I in my mermaid form?'

"Umm, why am I in the bathtub?" I questioned, upon realizing that I was in the bathtub. 

"Serena, thank Neptune you're awake" Arista said, relief washing over her features. "You scared the life out of me. I thought you died! But turns out, you were just experiencing your first cataplexy.

"Cataplexy?" I asked, raising one eyebrow.

"Well, basically when a mermaid experiences strong emotions, the muscles weak dramatically causing the person to collapse.  It is also know to cause heat" She informs me.

"Oh, that would explain why I suddenly felt hot"

"But there's one more thing you should know," she says, looking a little excited "It only happens when you find your soulmate." 

"My soulmate? But that's impossible, I've been hanging out with Max all day and I think I would have remembered if I met this so called soulmate."

"Umm, that's probably because your best friend is your soulmate" she deadpans.

"That's impossible, if Max is my soulmate then why is this now happening to me."

"I don't know but what I do know is that Max is definitely your soulmate"