You Found Me - Chapter Twenty-Three.

to be clear, the italicized portion is Allie's mom's flashback, and the regular text is Allie's POV.

Twenty-Five Years Ago;

Ciara Burke adored Adam Nolan.

Her friends all agreed that they fit together like two halves of a whole; practically planning their wedding when Ciara was looking, but dying of envy when she wasn't. Their parents were the closest that close could be, they both loved the exact same things, and everyone in Mullingar agreed that there could not have been a more perfect couple than those two. They were both from well-known community families, and both had reputations for being well-loved. It seemed that it was fate that brought them together, and it was obvious that marriage was in their near future.

- - - - - - - - - -

I bit my lip as Niall watched me.

"Allie..." he began slowly. "What's going on?"

"I don't know what's going on, I'm telling you," I blurted out. "Before you hear about this, you have to promise me that you believe that I don't know who's screwing with me like this, okay?"

"I knew that," Niall cut in. "But I don't understand; you're keeping all these secrets from me--"

"All these secrets?" I cried, anger bubbling up in my veins. "Niall, if the wrong person knew I was about to tell you this, I'd be fucking dead. I don't think you get this."

Niall immediately knew that he had said something wrong and put his arm around my shoulder. "Don't get upset," he said. "I didn't mean that...the way it sounded." He looked around quickly, then led me inside. "C'mon. Tell me more when we get in the house."

- - - - - - - - - -

The two had been dating for over two years now. They were just that couple that everyone wanted to be. The kind that were always together; watching movies together, pouring their hearts out to each other, kissing in the rain. It was a duo out of a romance movie.

On a warm, jeweled day in March, as the spring was settling in and the final white of the snow had disappeared from the streets, a few of Ciara's close friends caught wind of what they knew to be the juciest gossip yet: Adam was going to propose. Filled to the brim with excitement, for she was to soon be marrying her soul mate, Ciara scoured the shopping centers to find the perfect dress to wear to their formal date that night, where her friends had swore up and down Adam would pull out the ring.

After a long talk with her mother, who wasn't thrilled with her daughter becoming engaged at eighteen, the doorbell rang. There stood Adam, looking dashing in a flawlessly tailored suit. His brown hair fell over his bright blue eyes and he held out a rose for his girlfriend, smiling nervously. Ciara felt tingles all the way up her spine. He was absolutely perfect -- flawless in every way -- and he was all her's.

Ignoring the suddenly teary look on her mother's face, Ciara slipped her hand into Adam's and let him lead her down the front steps and toward his shiny black car sitting in the driveway.