Chapter Twenty-One

"What the hell, Hana? You're worse than a turtle! Ang bagal mo!"

The boy in glasses, who looked like he was on the verge of crying, pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm doing my best, okay? Hindi ako mabagal tumakbo, sobrang bilis niyo lang talaga! Kulang na lang lumipad kayong dalawa!" mangiyak-ngiyak niyang katwiran. "It's impossible to keep up with you! The two of you are insanely fast, especially him!" He said then pointed Haru who frowned to him.

"Don't put the blame on me, Hana. You run like a dying squid." My boyfriend retorted, seeming annoyed. "Kuso. I was planning to spend the weekend with Lucy, but you just had to ruin my love schedule." Love schedule? Seriously, Haru? Whatever.

I frowned. "Hana, you're the one who begged us to train you. Bear with it. After all, we have to improve your swimming stamina and cardiovascular endurance, so this training is necessary." I stated in the calmest way possible. "If you can't even run decently, then I suggest you quit the competition to save face. This is stupid."

It was still early in the morning, and the skies were still dark since the sun hasn't rise yet. The cold breeze of the wind was refreshing and problematic at the same time, given that we were dressed in thin clothes. The streets are empty, and it's safe to assume that most of the people in the neighborhood are still fast asleep.

"If I were allowed to quit, I wouldn't be here in the first place." Hana shoved his face into his hands. "I get it already. Don't pressure me anymore, Lucy." He covered his face as he fell onto his knees.

The details of the upcoming sports festival was announced last week. It is an event that a lot of students anticipate, held annually by the school every July, the nutrition month. To emphasize the good health of the participants, it highlights sports competitions such as volleyball, basketball, track and field, etc.

Unfortunately, Hana was listed by his classmates to join the swimming contest. Of course, he refused. However, it was an inevitable fate for him because the adviser of his class convinced him (or more like he forced him) to "try something new".

"I'm not athletic like you. I can't even swim. It's obvious that my classmates were making fun of me when they listed me as the class representative for the swimming category." He sounded hopeless.

I was rendered speechless when he broke into sobs. Nataranta naman si Haru at nakanganga siyang tumingin sa akin, animo'y nagtatanong kung anong dapat naming gawin. I took a deep breath as I nudged Haru on the shoulder.

"Buy him something to drink." utos ko.

"Aye, Ma'am!" He nodded frantically as he hurried off to the nearest convenience store which was visible from a distance. Ako naman, tinabihan ko si Hana sa gilid at pinagmasdan ko siyang umiyak.

"Was I too harsh?" malumanay kong tanong.

"No, no. I'm just frustrated right now." He sniffed. "I'm doing my best, but it's not enough. It feels like I was born to suck in sports."

"Look at me, Hana." He lifted his gaze to me. His eyes were puffy from crying. "Of all people, you should know very well that every person excels in his own field. Remember when you tutored me for my exams? You're the one who told me that people are awesome in their own ways." A small smile dawned to my face as I recalled the memory. "People are born differently, that's just how it is. Don't go having an existential crisis just because you suck in sports."

I used my towel to wipe the tears on his face. Pagkatapos kong punasan ang kanyang mga luha, napangiwi ako dahil mukhang paiyak na naman si Hana. This time, however, he was touched.

"Allow me to hug you, Lucy."

"Yeah, sure." I replied then widened my arms to initiate the hug. Hana wrapped his arms around my waist as he shoved his face to my neck. "Uhm, I reek of sweat, Hana. Mabaho ako."