~Chapter 21~

You swiveled on Connor's desk chair for the trillionth time in one minute before resting your head on his desk. Your insides felt like jumping out of your body and never returning.
"Lift your head up." Groggily looking up, you saw Hank and Connor exit the captain's office. "You'll feel worse if you lay down like that." All you could muster was a pathetic "Ok" to Hank. Then you noticed Connor's LED.
"Is everything alright?" You massaged your temples. You didn't dare stand up. Nobody spoke for an uncomfortable amount of time.
"...We've been removed from the deviancy case." Connor uttered.
"The FBI's taking over." Hank finished. You were at a loss for words. What were you supposed to say in a situation like this?
"I...well, you can always recover from this!" Connor pulled himself up onto the desk edge, looming above you. Hank looked on from his desk and shot you an odd glance.
"Like, this isn't the end of the world. Surely you've been through worse, right?" Your fingers tapped on the surface of Connor's desk.
"...Y/N, you don't understand. I've been ordered to return to CyberLife." His voice was weak. Your eyes uncertainly glanced to the Android above you. Just like yours, his eyes were troubled. Worried. Almost scared. His legs hung down over the desk's edge, and his shoulders slumped downwards. You've never witnessed Connor act like this. It seemed so out of place, like it wasn't really him. Maybe you were too used to the obedient, straight-to-the-point Connor. ...Maybe that isn't the real Connor.
"What?" Your voice barely made any noise at all, yet you knew he heard it. He hesitated, turning away from your sorrowful and confused expression.
"Even if I must go," You both subconsciously held the other's hand, yet his grip was weak. It felt like his fingers could slip through yours at any second. Connor continued to keep his eyes away from yours.
"I didn't...all I wanted was to-" His LED remained at yellow as he thought of an explanation. Paced footsteps interrupted the tension between you and the Android. You cocked your head to see what was causing the noise. A dark-clothed man was briskly walking down the corridor, towards some meeting rooms off to the sides. Two other officers accompanied him at his sides. Connor's hand fell out of your grip.
"Egh, god. Guess they don't miss a beat at the FBI, huh." Hank groaned. Meanwhile, Connor seemed to be panicking. His LED was now flickering gold and red. Your heart beat picked up. Suddenly your nausea had passed and you were determined to keep Connor safe.
"Lieutenant, you have to stop him!" Connor nearly jumped off the desk. He glanced behind him to peer at the head of the FBI.
"If he finds a lead in the evidence, CyberLife will shut me down for good." He toned down his voice. Connor was now facing Hank, standing right next to him by his desk. The older man shifted in his seat.
"I know you heard what Captain Fowler said-" His brows furrowed, learning to one side in his chair.
"I know, I know, but...!" Connor stopped himself once his voice raised too high. "You need to help me. I don't...I don't want to be shut down." His voice was laced with emotion. The fear of being shut down. You've never seen him scared before. With Hank sitting in his chair, Connor was towering over him. He had his hands resting on the desk amongst the clutter, LED still remaining the same gold shade. You were sick of sitting around, not being able to do anything. It was time to step up once again.
"Let me help." Your voice was bold. Which was rare. And that felt good. Both heads turned, finally noticing that you had been sulking away from the issue.
"Seriously. I have an idea." You stood up out of the swivel chair and neared the pair. "Connor, you said he couldn't get access to any evidence, right?" Your shoulder was nearly touching his upper arm.
"Correct. If he gets too close to a solution in the evidence we've collected, then I'll..." Connor's bronze eyes wandered downwards. His head fell with them.
"If we make a distraction, we could save some time before he gets to it." You proposed, specifically looking towards Hank.
"Heh, distraction? You gonna slip and fall or something?" He ran a hand through his hair, grinning slightly. "Perkins could care less about that."
"No. Grab that coffee cup and bring it to the break room." You pointed to the suspicious cup of cold coffee. You wouldn't wish upon anyone to drink that.
"Trust me! Also, I kind of have to punch you for this to work." You nervously swayed around on your feet. A grin cracked your serious expression while looking at Hank.
"Punch me? Don't hit me too hard, you might break a bone." He teased, pushing himself off of the chair and to his feet.
"Whatever, shut up."
"Also, Connor," Hank paused. "you're gonna need that key to get into the evidence room." Connor nodded towards him and looked around the room before grabbing the plastic card. You started to head off after Hank, when Connor gripped your shoulder softly.
"What should I do?" You paused to think, studying the room. Hank was in the break room, disgustingly looking down at the old cup of coffee. Special Agent Perkins had stopped outside of a meeting room. Captain Fowler was still sitting in his office, doing who knows what.
"When I start hitting Hank, pull me away from the scene." You glanced down the hall, past the break room. "Take me to those cells and I'll tell you what to do from there." Connor nodded and you were off. Nearing closer to Hank, you felt Perkins nearly ten feet away from you. You gripped your hand into a fist.
"How could you do this?!" Using your clenched fist, you swung at Hank. You barely even made any impact.
"What the hell,"
"I thought I could trust you!" You had to jump up to reach his shoulders and push him back against a wall.
"get off of me!" The gross coffee spilled out of the cup it was in and landed on his shirt. Hank was blocking his face from your wimpy swings.
"Why would you just leave me?" Directly behind you, you heard firm footsteps approaching. Two stiff arms wrapped around your middle section and yanked you away from Hank. Heat rose to your cheeks at the contact.
"I'd recommend you stop that, before you are incarcerated." You could barely get a look at Hank, already complaining to the Special Agent and his backup about the incident. Connor dragged you away towards an empty cell, and you attempted kicking his shins for extra effect. It was a sad attempt. When all concerned eyes were out of sight, he released you from his grip.
"Was that good?" You mentally frowned at the spot of coffee on your shirt.
"Good enough to make a distraction." The Android was peering around the area, searching for anyone else who could be watching. There was a moment of silence before you remembered why you were here.
"Now, go. Do what you have to do. I'll keep watch." You nodded towards the big lettering above a door, reading "EVIDENCE ROOM". The Android held open the squeaky door for you, and you stood silently in a short hallway.
While Connor did...whatever he needed to do, you counted one security camera in a corner up high. You hoped and prayed nobody would find this footage of you helping Connor break into the evidence room. If they found this security footage...who knows what would happen. Your heart skipped a beat and your shoulders jumped up when the squeaky door opened again. Connor returned to your side, a tinge of excitement in those bronze eyes of his. The blinding lights from above made them even more magnificent.
"Your stress levels are high. Are you feeling alright?" You just realized how your heart was still beating irregularly. A deep breath in and out fixed that quickly.
"Yeah," Your words came out as a sigh. "there was just, uh, a security camera. I'm worried they might catch on." Connor glanced up into the corner, but promptly looked away as if he knew it was there.
"We'll be fine. After this is over, it won't matter. I found where the deviants are hiding." His fists were clenched in excitement. He was proud of himself, and you were too. But an afterthought came.
"Why would you want to go there? Connor, you aren't going to-"
"No, I...I'll explain later." He grabbed both of your hands and held them gently. Connor began to pull you away towards the exit.
"Let's get out of here. To Hank's."

I apologize deeply for not being able to publish in 3 weeks. I have no excuse. (I mean, I did have five tests today but let's not talk about that) Although, spring break for me is this coming week so I should be able to write. Thank you all for sticking with me and enjoying the story.
Until next time, Pixel Crew!