A few days later, Laventry and his fleet finally reached Cayona, their purses full to a bursting point and a galleon that would look like new after a season at Lombard's.

D'Oregon was about to name Laventry honored citizen when he walked into the Governor's office with two porters to carry the crown share. And the news that all the fleet captains had agreed to give the galleon to the government.

A few weeks later, Monsieur Patini, owner of La Lumière, found Laventry at Philippe's tavern. The man had gone rogue after his wife died a year earlier, and he was up to the neck in debt, especially after the last hurricane leveled his plantation. Knowing Laventry's purse was still full after the last expedition, the man pretty much begged on his knees for Laventry to give him a loan. Laventry said yes, paid the man's debts himself and took the plantation as payment.

And gave it to his fiancée as a token of his love.

Cecilia accepted it, more than pleased. She taught La Lumière children at the school she still had at Fray Bernard's chapel, and she knew the plantation was devastated and Patini had nor the means or any interest in doing something about it.

Marina and Morris came back from the sea to a true revolution in their homes. Cecilia and Dolores were completely devoted to restoring La Lumière. Cecilia took care of the humanitarian side of it, looking after the many needs of slaves and paid hands. Dolores was an eagle with the numbers, so she renegotiated contracts and managed their resources to make the restoration possible.

"We have to expand our horizon," Laventry said to Marina and Morris. "European politics is taking its toll here, and soon piracy will no longer be profitable."

"We heard they're trying to commission a new Windward Fleet," said Marina.

"Aye. One of the new ships is the San Jorge, a 250-ton vessel," said Laventry.

"That's a lot of room for a lot of guns," said Morris.

"And not only that. They're also giving letters of marque."

"The Spaniards?" asked Marina, surprised.

"Aye! Tides are turning, pearl. Mark my words: our children won't be Brethren of the Coast. And we must make sure to leave them a way to make a living. If the plantation works, they'll have a prosper future.

Laventry's wise attitude made Morris chuckle. "As smugglers."

"Why not?" Laventry replied, laughing with them.

"Wait, you mean to recognize your boys?" asked Marina.

Over the years, Laventry had had three children with different women. He'd always taken care they had all they needed, but he'd never bothered to be anything of a father to them.

"You think I have a saying in that?" he replied.

Marina and Morris laughed again, understanding that was Cecilia's doing.

Among the works to restore and reopen the plantation were the repairs to the Villa, the luxurious house were Patini and his family had lived. That would be Laventry's and Cecilia's home after they got married, by next year's Eastern.

Asked about the house where she'd lived all her life, Marina agreed to close it and move in to the Villa with them. Her home wasn't on land, and she didn't feel like coming back from the sea to an empty, deserted house. Her call helped Dolores to convince Morris, so they would move to the plantation as well, into a house Cecilia wanted to build specially for them near the Villa.

Morris just threw up his hands. "Do your will, you women. You've already decided it anyway."

Dolores turned to Laventry, pointing at her husband. "Watch and learn, Admiral. My man knows how to make me happy." She winked at the corsair. "And this is only what you see. Hope you don't need advice for the rest of it."

Morris and Laventry had grown up among the men's spicy jokes. But their women's took them completely aback. Marina, Dolores and Cecilia laughed till tears rolled down their faces when the men blushed up to their ears.

However, after Marina came across the New Lion, Cecilia knew right away something meaningful had happened. So she put all her activities on hold and spent the next day at their home, vigilant about any sign that would tell her that Marina wanted or needed to talk to her.

The girl ended up telling her what had happened mostly to ease her mother's concern. And she invited Dolores over, so she wouldn't need to tell the tale twice.

They had tea while Cecilia and Dolores listened to Marina. They didn't interrupt her, nor asked any question. When she was done, she faced them with an awkward grimace, and got nothing but understanding smiles from them.

"Say something, please!"

"What do you expect us to say?" Dolores replied. "Your friend will make me pay for leaving him alone on one of the few days you're on land. But I like the price and the tale's worth it. And as for the two of you, you're a lost cause, so I'll save my breath."

Marina turned to Cecilia, begging. "Mother?"

Cecilia patted her hand. "Dolores is right, dear. You're talking with two old women who found love again when they didn't even dare to hope."

"Old? Mother! You're thirty-four! And Dolores is only thirty!"

"And what are we to say to you? Only to put your fears behind and follow your heart. Run to his arms, give yourself a chance to be happy with him." Cecilia smiled wider when Tomasa walked in to pick the tea service up. "And our good Tomasa will have a chance to plan the only wedding left."

"Just say the word," the black woman replied, amused.

Marina shook her head in despair. "God help us. You're too happy to give me any good advice."