chapter 19: superpower

Start from the beginning

My lips curl as I nod my head, Riker pulling into a parking stall next to Miles' car. Killing the engine, Riker and Greyson climb out and move their seats forward to let us out. As my feet touch the pavement, I instantly grab the hem of my light denim short overalls and adjust the long sleeve white shirt.

"Hey!" Isla excitedly smiles as she runs over to me, looking her arms through mine. "I need you to explain football to me."

"I have no idea how it works either," I laugh, leaning my head against hers. "We can be clueless together."

"Sounds good to me," she laughs. "I'm just glad I'm finally attending one of these things. It'll complete my high school experience."

"What about prom and graduation?" I ask.

"Well, those were a given. The football game was a long shot but now that your dating the football captain I have to come to keep you company," she tells me cheerfully.

"I can't be dating the football captain when I haven't even been on one date with him," I argue.

"Really? That's what you're going to pick out of what she said?" Miles laughs from behind us. "Out of all the crazy things she says. You're going to get her on a technicality?"

"Shush," I laugh as we head toward the bleachers, my attention caught by the shout of my last name. Turning my head, I see Coach Davidson walking closer to the bleacher and my three brothers looking his way. Unsure whose attention he's trying to get.

"Greyson! Long time no see," he grins, waving him over to the edge. "How have you been?"

"Hey coach," Greyson cheerfully smiles, catching the attention of cheerleaders nearby and it takes everything in me not to roll my eyes at the way they glance at him. "I'm good. Back in town for a bit. How's the season been?"

"Good," he nods. "Why don't you come watch from the sidelines?"

Greyson turns to look at us, almost as if he's asking for permission before turning back to Coach and nodding his head. I look up at the bleachers, searching for a place to sit when I feel a hand wrap around my ankle to get my attention. When I turn back, my lips curl up when I see who's attached to the hand.

"Hi," I smile as I kneel down, resting my hands on the lower bar.

"Am I seeing this right? Stevie Alexander at football game without a camera attached to her hip?" Felix teases.

"Ha-ha," I roll my eyes before sticking my tongue out at him. "Are you nervous?"

"About what? The game or meeting your parents?" He questions.

"Both?" I hum out.

"Not when I've got you around," he says before smirking. "Besides, I can play football in my sleep and this is only a practice game."

"Practice?"

He nods. "With the big homecoming game coming up in a few weeks. They wanted to do a game just for fun to test out some plays."

"I didn't know they did that."

"Don't usually," he shrugs. "Coach just really wants to make sure I do well. He did it for Greyson too."

"That's awfully nice for him," I look up to where my brother is mingling among the other football players. "He definitely has favorites."

"Oh, without a doubt," Felix laughs, nodding his head. "So...even though this is a practice do I still get a good luck kiss?"

"I don't think you deserve one," I tell him, but the corners of my lips tell him I'm lying as they curl up.

"You're cute when you try and lie," he smiles and leans up, meeting me half way as I duck down and kiss him. "I'm definitely going to win now."

A giggle falls from my lips as he hums. "Good luck."

"Thank you," he grins brightly as he pulls away from me.

"I'll wait for you after the game?" I ask, hoping he'll let me ride home with him instead of with my brothers. Considering Lena will be joining us, and likely Mika. Meaning Greyson and me will get kicked to Miles' backseat.

"No, you should head out with everyone else. I'll have to wrap a few things up after the game and I don't want you to have to wait on me," he shakes his head. "I'll be there after I get cleaned up, alright?"

"Okay," I nod. "I'll see you later then."

"Yes, you will," he bobs his head, squeezing my hand with a smile on his face. "Thank you for coming, Nicks."

"You're welcome," I lean over again and kiss his cheek, getting back up to my feet. I straighten out my skirt and wander up the bleachers to join Isla and Miles who sit amongst a few other people with Isaac and Riker sitting nearby.

"Will the two of you get married already?" Isla asks as soon as I sit down next to her on the bench, a wide grin resting on her lips.

"Slow down, will you?" I laugh. "You're getting way ahead of yourself."

"I can't help it! You're so freaking cute," she squeals in delight. "You're basically made for each other."

"You need to get yourself under control, woman," I tease, nudging her side. "We are kind of cute, aren't we?"

Isla bobs her head. "You're blushing, Vee."

"Shut up," I wave her off.

"So...when are we going homecoming dress shopping?" She asks.

"We aren't."

"Yes, we are," she argues. "He's going to ask, Stevie."

"Or you could ask him," Miles suggests.

"Or we could just not go there," I shake my head.

"Don't do that," Isla frowns. "Don't back track. Have a little faith that you're going to homecoming with our homecoming king and be happy about that, because guess what? You two are freaking cute."

"Freaking cute," Miles teases.

"You both suck," I stick my tongue out. "And you're right. Sorry."

"Don't be sorry," she nudges my side. "It's okay to have cold feet."

"Thanks Isla," I lean into her. "You always know the right thing to say."

"I know," she smiles gently. "It's my superpower."

a/n;

Double update, complete! Even if they are technically posted on different days...