Chapter THIRTY EIGHT

Start from the beginning

'Bobbi, please let me in.'

She lets out a weak no, but she's sure he doesn't hear it. She doesn't care. You knew the truth and didn't tell me. You didn't tell me about Nick. You didn't tell me anything. If she learned the truth in the beginning she wouldn't be here right now: so hurt and betrayed. Times two.

She focuses on why he didn't tell her. If he didn't care about me, he would've told me. If he did care about me, he would've told me. If he wanted me to see an honest view of himself, he would've told me. He could've told me in one of our vulnerable moments. If he really wanted to clean the slate and start anew back when we were locked in the storage room, he would've told me.

He never liked her in the beginning and maybe that's still the case. He could've taken her loss and vulnerability to his advantage. She thinks he played her all this time... But then why would he take the fall, just to laugh at her behind her back? Knowing Roberto back then, he would've taken pride to laugh in her face and state it in her face that it was her 'oh so perfect' boyfriend – she remembers that day in the shop when they fought and he quit when she threw the proud parent card back at him. That brings her to another thing: his parents. Would he really let his parents believe he committed a crime? No, no. I know him too well. Do I? No one would let their parents believe they committed a crime. No one would jeopardise their future. What has Nick done to me? She rubs her temples and sighs. Screw Nick. He's really making me question everything. Shit. She is so scared to ask Roberto in case on the off chance, it's all true. It makes sense for the old Roberto... but then I don't think the old Roberto would put in that type of effort for Nick. Then again, emotions drive people and you're not thinking and I'm sure Roberto was very angry at Nick and wanted to get back at him somehow; but to carry that emotion for many months?

I'm just so hurt and gutted and disappointed Roberto never told me anything. Lied to me. He knew Nick was hurting her with this and never told her. He betrayed her.

Just when they were becoming closer and understanding each other, this secret wedges between them. She's mad because she thinks that he kept this secret for Nicholas' sake – this cruel thought enters her mind and she fears the thought. To know something like that, have a glimpse into her life through the secret and realise her life isn't as perfect as she built it up to be. To have that satisfaction.

In her worst vulnerable state, the ones she cared about betrayed her.

Her eyes slowly open as she wipes her nose with her sleeve, and her eyes cast down on Roberto's shadow on the floor from the sun shining through the glass panel of the door.

'Bobbi, I don't know what to say to make you feel better,' he calls through the other side of the door. His hands are against the window of the door, his forehead pressed against it as he looks down at her.

'It's not your job to always be there and to make me feel better. You don't have to keep doing this. You don't have to pretend anymore.'

'What do you mean? What are you talking about?'

She doesn't know herself.

Finding a pinch of energy within herself, she stands up and unlocks the door. She makes sure he stays on his side and she stays inside, arms folded. 'Why didn't you tell me?'

He takes a deep breath and lingers his eyes on the lock of the door, playing with it. A sombre expression stays on his face. 'I didn't think it was my place to tell you. I thought it was better for it to come from Nick-'

'Bullshít.' She releases a tired sigh. She's too emotionally exhausted to think straight.

Roberto drops his shoulders and licks his lips. Remorse etches onto his features as he traces his finger up and down on the glass panel, a deep frown on his lips. 'I didn't know if you wanted to hear it from me or if it should even come from me. I didn't tell you because I didn't think you'd believe me. If, at the time, I told you it was Nick who burned down your mom's shop, would you have actually believed me?'