Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

“Depends on your idea of winning.”

What does that even mean? 

After I was practically forced out of Zander’s house I went home. I didn’t understand why he felt the need to be so secretive. I shook my head. For now my focus needed to be on Logan. 

He had gotten home just after I went to Zander’s and now he was leaving. I of course was going to follow him but I didn’t know how. 

“I’m out, Macy!” Logan called.

“Okay.” I said before running out the back door. It usually took a while for Logan to actually leave so I hurried over to Zander’s house, taking a deep breath. 

I knocked on the sliding door and waited. Zander appeared on the other side looking confused.

He opened the door, not saying anything he just gave me a questioning look.

“Hey, again. I, uh, I need a favor.” I smiled hopefully.

He raised his eyebrows. “You were here like five minutes ago.”

I continued.

“Can you give me a ride somewhere?” I asked.

“Where?”

“Uh, I’m not sure yet.”

“Then how-”

“Will you?” I asked.

Zander sighed but nodded his head.

“Great, let’s go.” I said, grabbing Zander’s hand and rushing to the front door. On our way out Zander grabbed two helmets and a set of keys. I froze when we stood outside.

“Where’s the car?” I asked, staring at the two helmets.

“My dad has it. We’re riding my bike.” I looked over at the end of Zander’s yard and found his lime green sports bike. 

Subtle.

I puffed out my cheeks with a nod and looked over to my right. Logan had just pulled out of the driveway and was driving down the road.

“Oh, let’s go. Just, um, follow that car.”

“Uh, alright.” Zander said, getting on his bike with my following. Zander revved up the bike before following Logan at a safe distance. 

With my helmet on and sitting behind the decently sized shoulders of Zander I wasn’t able to see where my brother was going. Looking to my side I noticed we were passing the city and going into a small neighborhood. It was slightly rundown, the houses looked similar to the ones in my own neighborhood but less taken care of. 

We came to a sudden stop and I saw Logan’s car stopped at house a few cars down. 

I took my helmet off and Zander did the same. “Do you know what neighborhood this is?” I asked.

“Yeah, Willow Woods.”

I nodded and got off the bike, handing Zander the helmet. 

“Should I wait here for a minute?” He asked.

I shook my head. “Uh, no, I should be fine.”

Zander nodded. “I’ll stay here for a bit.” 

I smiled before biting my lip. “Thanks.”

Zander pursed his lips, looking down. I rolled my eyes and turned around. Logan had gotten out of his car and was walking towards the brown cottage house he had parked in front of. I walked down the sidewalk, ready to approach Logan when he had stopped and turned to me. His eyes widened before settling into a glare.

Sighing I went up to him, crossing my arms loosely.

“Are you following me?” My brother asked.

I rolled my eyes, “I think that’s pretty obvious, Logan.”

“Leave, now.” He said through clenched teeth.

“I know you didn’t come down just for a visit, you didn't even come home when you first got here. SO, what it is that you’ve been so secret about? We’re not supposed to lie to each other, Logan.” I said, genuinely hurt.

Logan sighed, shaking his head. He opened his mouth but before he could say anything the door to the house opened. A man came out with a soft smile, looking at Logan. I turned to the man with my mouth open slightly, my eyebrows furrowed.

“I thought I heard you pull up. I was waiting-”

“Dad?” 

The man stopped and looked at me in shock before sadness went over his eyes. I turned to Logan. 

“This is what you’ve been doing? Spending time with him?” I spat.

“Macy, you don’t understand.”

“I understand enough, I bet you weren’t even planning on seeing me and grandma. I can’t believe you would see him and not even mention it to me! Why the hell would you want to see him?”

“Macy-” I cut the man off.

“No! You can shut up! I don’t want to hear anything you have to say!” I wiped the tear that leaked from my eyes and quickly spun around, heading back to Zander’s bike. I heard Logan call my name but ignored it. 

“You okay?” Zander asked, handing me the helmet.

“Yeah, can you just take me home…actually, can I stay at yours for a bit?” I asked, not looking him in the eye.

“Let’s go to my job first. I’ll figure something out okay. My place might not be the best option.” Zander said and I hopped on the bike. I took a deep breath as Zander drove off.