Lost behind the Scars - Chapter One

Chapter One

        I trudged inside the house. Almost instantly the warm air eased my shivering body. Soaked from head to toe I made my way through the mud room, slipping off my shoes and shrugging off my light jacket. 

“Macy, is that you?” I heard my grandma call. The second she spoke I noticed an extra set of small shoes beside mine. I rushed out of the room, sliding into the kitchen.

        “Who’s here?” I asked.

“Macy! Why are you soaking wet and walking through my kitchen? There is a mud room for a reason.” She spoke, looking at me sternly.

        “It’s pouring outside. Do you want me to walk through the house naked?” I asked as I lifted my shirt, reaching my ribs before my grandma called out.

“Jesus, Macy. We have a guest.” She said as her voice went an octave higher.

        With a chuckle I pulled down my shirt. I plopped into one of the cushioned stools next to the countertop, my grandma standing on the other side.

“No, out of the seat, you’re getting it wet!” She screeched as she scurried over to me, waving me away as if I were a bug. Rolling my eyes I got up.

        “So who’s here?” I tried again.

“First, go change and then you’ll see.” She told me, tilting her head down slightly as she looked at me.

        I groaned loudly, continuing to do so until I got to my room. 

I slid off my wet clothes, changing them with a pair of yoga pants and a large t-shirt, too big for my body. I pulled my brown hair into a loose bun, before leaving my room. 

        Humming as I entered the kitchen I was met by a frustrated grandma. “What are you wearing?” She asked.

“Uh, clothes.” I told her.

        “I told you we had a guest.”

I shrugged, not caring what I looked like. “Who is it, anyway?” I asked for the third time.

        My grandma shook her head as she sighed, though a smile came to her face. “Just the neighbor.”

“Which ones? And where are they, this house only has one story.”

        “The Key’s. And Russell just left, he had to work. But his youngest son is here and I need you to do me a favor.”

“What’s that?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Wait, you wanted me to dress nice for a kid?”