Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Groaning I opened my eyes, blinking my lids as my vision was blurry. Once I regained full sight I stretched my body across the…floor? 

Looking up I saw that I was lying on the carpeted floor next to the couch in the living room. Furrowing my eyebrows as I sat up, leaning on my arms, I tried to recall how I ended up here. I came back after waiting with Hunter then went into the living room to watch TV until my grandma got home. If I fell asleep I started on the couch.

“Good morning, dear.” I heard my grandma say as she walked through the living room and into the kitchen. 

Shaking my head I stood up, walking into the kitchen. I froze when I processed what she had said.

“Morning?! Why didn’t you wake me?” I screamed as I ran to my room. I knew it wasn’t too late since my grandma was still in her robe, but when I went into my room and looked at my clock on the wall I let out a squeal. 

I had less than twenty minutes.

In a rush I grabbed a set of clothes before running to the bathroom, making a stop at the hallway closet to get a towel. I took a quick shower.

I had twelve minutes. 

After drying off my body I wrapped the towel around my wet hair. I pulled on my clothes; a white t-shirt tucked into a pair high waist marvel shorts. Groaning I ran to my room, pulling a red cardigan out of my closet before rushing back to the bathroom. 

With the cardigan on I took the towel from my hair, throwing it on the floor. I ran a comb through the thick strands until it was no longer tangled. After giving my hair a quick flip I brought my hair to my left side. Pulling on the loose curls I made a loose braid. 

Rushing back to my room I nearly squealed again when I saw I only had a few minutes. After grabbing my backpack I walked out of my room and into the kitchen. 

“Breakfast?” My grandma asked. I sniffed the air, the smell of pancakes filling my nostrils.

“I can’t,” I groaned. “I’m gonna be late.” 

“Alright, I’ll make sure to cook up a nice dinner. I’m going to start watching that Hunter boy some days, like today. For dinner i'll have the brothers over.” She smiled sweetly. I looked at her in shock and confusion.

“What do you mean brothers-?”

“Go on, Macy. You’re going to be late.” She spoke, shooing me away.

I let out a huff of air before walking towards the door. Opening it a breeze flew in, making me glance at my feet. My eyes widened, “Shit.” I muttered as I ran to my room, stuffing my feet into a pair of converse. Running again I flew out the front door with my grandma calling behind me, “Stop cursing in the house!”

With a slight chuckle I climbed into my car, a white Honda, before pulling off and speeding towards the school.

Arriving at school, I got out of my car just in time to hear the late bell. With a groan I pulled out my backpack and slammed the door shut, hitting the lock button on my keys.

Along with a few last minute students I made my way into the school, heading for the tardy table. I grabbed a late pass before walking down the empty hallway to class. 

Silently I walked into class, handing the teacher my pass. She sat at her desk and nodded as she took the hot pink slip. “There’s a packet on the table in the front of the room. Grab that and pick a group.” She said before going back to typing on her computer.

I did as I was told and grabbed a packet before turning to scan the room. The class was split into seven groups. Naturally, I chose the one that had someone I actually knew in it. That would be the group of three in the middle of the room.

I pulled up a chair next to Aria Pallone. With tan skin and jet black hair and equally dark eyes, she is what made up my best friend. “Hey.” I spoke as I sat down.

“My baby is here!” She shouted as she wrapped her arms around me.

“Glad you missed me. It’s been what, sixteen hours since we saw each other last?” I asked as I patted her arms as they were still wrapped around me.

She pulled back, her hands resting on my shoulders. “I know it’s been so long.” She said as she fake sobbed. She peaked at me through her eyelashes before we both broke out into laughter.

“Okay, seriously though, what happened with your grams?” She asked.

I shrugged. “She was supposed to talk to me about coming home late but then it didn’t happen. I’m assuming it will today though.” 

“It’s not like we went to a wild party or anything, you were back before eight. Besides, you are way too uptight for that.”

“Pfft, am not.” I mumbled as I crossed my arms. She was right though, the only thing I had was my mouth because I was not a bad kid by any means.

“Girls in the middle, do you plan on talking the entire class?”

I gave her a confused look. “Um, yeah, this is a group project.” I said.

The teacher glared at me before her lips went into a thin line. 

“Was that…was that the wrong answer?” I asked as I tilted my head up a bit.

“Just be quiet.” She told me before turning her attention back to her computer. He lips moved as she spoke to herself in frustration.

Aria leaned towards me and whispered, looking at the teacher, “I think you are literally driving her insane.” 

She turned to me before we again broke out into fits of laughter.