9. The Prisoner In Azkaban

The rest of the summer was absolutely wonderful. Every day, Aunt Jeanie helped me with studying different spells and incantations. I read a book or two on the history of magic, but honestly I couldn't keep my focus for too long on this subject.

The Standard Book of Spells, however, was a very enjoyable read. In only two weeks I had read the first book (out of three!) and memorised most of the spells. It was a bit trickier to actually do them, though. Especially because I was only allowed to use my wand in the presence of Aunt Jeanie. Of course I had not heeded her warning so I had tried a fire-making spell in my bedroom. Well, let's say that I agree with Aunt Jeanie that it hadn't been a very good idea and that she is now keeping my wand locked in a cupboard until I go to Hogwarts.

During the day I studied - often on my bed with Dusk keeping me company - while in the evenings we would have dinner together at the kitchen table. How lovely and refreshing it was to sit together and talk about all kinds of things, instead of eating in front of the TV every evening. Also, Uncle Eric was a really good cook. Every meal he made was cooked up from scratch instead of coming out of a box. In my short two months that I spent at their house, they hardly ever used the microwave!

One of those evenings - Uncle Eric had made the best lasagne ever - Aunt Jeanie was very quiet.

"Aunt Jeanie, is something the matter?" I inquired after taking a bite of deliciousness.

She sighed heavily. "Well, dear, as you know, I recently subscribed to the Daily Prophet - the newspaper of the magic world. Just to keep up with all things, you know. And today there was a rather alarming headline." She got up to get the newspaper from the living room.

She put the paper in front of me. I saw a - moving - photo of a man with dark, shoulder-length hair looking back at me. He was holding a board with a number on it and was screaming like a madman. Well, not that I could hear him, but it looked like he was.

SIRIUS BLACK ESCAPED FROM AZKABAN the headlines read. Azkaban, that's the same place they're keeping Mum! I continued reading:

"The infamous Sirius Black has escaped Azkaban last night, the Ministry of Magic confirmed earlier today.

"Azkaban is the most secure prison in the world. No one has ever succeeded to escape it before," said Rosella Darcy, spokeswoman for the Ministry of Magic.

The Ministry is unable to answer how Black managed to escape Azkaban and its equally feared Dementors.

Black, who was sentenced to Azkaban for the massacre of thirteen people with a single curse twelve years ago, had been a follower of You-Know-Who. He is a very dangerous man and the Ministry wishes to prevent a repetition of the events all those years ago.

The Ministry urges the magical community to remain calm and vigilant, and to report anything out of the ordinary immediately to the Ministry."

I had some mixed feelings when I finished reading the article. On the one hand, the man sounded insane - and not in a good way. But on the other hand, I wondered if he could tell me anything about my Mum. But that's crazy, why would a mass murderer tell me stuff like that?

"What is it, Jeanie?" Uncle Eric said.

"A madman has escaped the wizarding prison."

"That sounds dangerous," Uncle Eric replied as he took a sip from his tea.

"He is. He has massacred thirteen people at once. We should be very careful, although I expect we will be fine as long as we stay indoors."

I wondered if Aunt Jeanie was hiding something from us. Does she know this Black guy? I decided that now wasn't the time to ask her about it. Perhaps when Uncle Eric was not present, it would be better. I had a feeling that Aunt Jeanie didn't like to discuss magic when Uncle Eric was near. Perhaps she didn't want to make him feel bad about her leaving magic behind for him?

I thought it would probably be best to change the subject, however, my curiosity won from my reason...

"Aunt Jeanie, where is Azkaban? Is it here in London?"

"No dear, luckily, it is not. It is somewhere on an island in the North Sea, I believe. It will take a while for Black to arrive on our shores, if the sea won't kill him first. No need to worry, dear," Aunt Jeanie answered. No need to worry? Then why do you look like you do?

"Do you think I could visit Mum in Azkaban?" I asked, trying to sound casual about it.

Aunt Jeanie looked up from her plate to stare at me.

"No, Evelyn, prisoners don't receive visitors in Azkaban. It is a rather bleak place..." she started. I waited for an answer but nothing came; she seemed lost in thought. Eventually, she continued eating her lasagne. I decided that it was best not to continue on the subject for now.

Unfortunately, over the next days I did not get a chance to talk about Sirius Black or Azkaban anymore. Aunt Jeanie nearly smothered me with homework and she even started giving me tests! Was she trying to divert my attention? After a while, I gave up on the subject and eventually I forgot all about it.